Subject: HOT CHIPS SYMPOSIUM VI, AUGUST 14-16, STANFORD UNIVERSITY
From: mfreeman@Sierra.Stanford.EDU (Martin Freeman)
Date: 29 Jul 1994 20:44:53 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

            Just When You thought It Was Safe To Go On Vacation

                         HOT CHIPS SYMPOSIUM VI
                  A Symposium on High-Performance Chips
                           (Advance Program)

                 Sponsored by the IEEE Computer Society
                 Technical Committee on Microprocessors

               Stanford University, Palo, Alto, California
                          Memorial Auditorium
                           August 14-16, 1994

Attend HOT Chips VI, a symposium on high-performance chips, which will bring
together researchers and developers of chips used to construct high-performance
workstations and systems. Enjoy the informal format offering interaction with
speakers. The first five HOT Chips Symposiums were huge successes and prompted
articles in five special issues of IEEE Micro magazine. This year's HOT Chips
VI will again bring you the latest developments in chip technology.

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

General Chairman:            John Mashey,       Silicon Graphics
Vice Chairman:               Nam Ling,          Santa Clara University
Program Co-Chairmen:         Alan J. Smith,     UC Berkeley
                             Don Alpert,        Intel
Finance Chairman:            Dennis Reinhardt,  Intel
Registration Chairman:       Robert Stewart,    Stewart Research
Publication Chairman:        David Gustavson,   SCI Technical Consortium
Publicity Chairman:          S. Diane Smith,    Consultant
Local Arrangements Chairmen: Alan Johnson,
                             Cary Kornfeld,     Interval Research
Tutorials Chairman:          Qiang Li           Santa Clara University
At Large:                    Martin Freeman,    Philips Research
			     John Hennessy,     Stanford University

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Donald Alpert,   Intel (Program Co-Chairman)
Forest Baskett,  Silicon Graphics
Alan Baum,       Apple Computer
Anoop Gupta,     Stanford University
Norman Jouppi    DEC WRL
Ruby Lee,        Hewlett Packard
Alan J. Smith,   UC Berkeley (Program Co-Chairman)

PROGRAM

August 14, 1994

Tutorial Schedule:

7:30-8:30     Registration & Coffee at Memorial Auditorium

8:30-12:00    Algorithms & Hardware for Video Compression

12:00-1:00    Lunch

1:00-4:30     Instruction-Set Extension for Multiprocessor Interconnects

4:30-6:00     Wine & Cheese Reception in the Dohrman Grove
              Just North of the Hoover Tower on Serra Street

Tutorial 1:   Algorithms & Hardware for Video Compression
              Teresa Meng, Stanford University

This tutorial will give an overview of the industry standards for video
compression, including compression algorithms, performance comparisons
and hardware implementations. Fast algorithms to achieve real-time
encoding and decoding will be one focus of this tutorial. Besides
industry standards, recent developments in compression techniuqes, such
as subband and wavelet filtering and vector quantization will be
covered. Finally research activities in the area of low-power
implementations for portable video applications will be surveyed.

Tutorial 2:   Instruction-Set Extensions for Multiprocessor Interconnects
              David James, Apple Computer

Most instruction sets have been optimized for uniprocessor
environments. To effectively utilize multiprocessors on scalable
interconnects, processors need to support additional capabilities,
including 64-bit addressing, a well-defined set of memory access
capabilities (loads, stores, and locks), non-blocking interrupts and
synchronized time-of-day clocks. As background, the constraints of a
typical high-speed interconnect, ANSI/IEEE Std 1596-1992 Scalable
Coherent Interface (SCI), are considered. We show that specialized
signals (such as bus-lock and interrupt) as well as eavesdrop or
broadcast-based protocols can be avoided, explicit lock instructions
(such as fetch&add) scale better than LoadReserved- and
StoreConditional-based instruction sequences, and mixed endian data
types (big and little) require minimal hardware (but significant
compiler) support. We show how these conditions impact the design of
processor instruction-set extensions.

August 15, 1994

9:00-9:15     Welcome and Opening Remarks
              John Mashey, General Chair
              Don Alpert, Alan Jay Smith, Program Co-Chairs

9:15-10:45    CPUs - 1
              Session Chair: Norman Jouppi, DEC WRL

              .  An Overview of the 21164 Alpha AXP Microprocessor
                 Paul Rubinfeld, Digital Equipment Corp.

              .  The Power2+ Processor
                 David Shippy, IBM

              .  A 500MHz 32b 0.4um CMOS RISC Processor (Gallop)
                 Kazumasa Suzuki, NEC Corporation

10:45-11:15  Break

11:15-12:45  Multiprocessor and Encryption
             Session Chair: Howard Sachs, Sun Microsystems

             .  The Alewife CMMU: Addressing the Multiprocessor
                Communications Gap
                John Kubiatowicz, MIT

             .  nCube3 Integrated MPP Node Processor
                Robert Duzett, nCube

             .  A 100Kbit/sec Single Chip Modular Exponentiation Processor
                Holger Orup, Aarhus University, Denmark

12:45-2:15   Lunch

2:15-3:45    Networks, Communications
             Session Chair: Forest Baskett, Silicon Graphics

             .  UAI2110: An Universal GaAs ATM Interface Chip
                for High Speed Networks
                Premysl Vaclavik, Thomas Neuroth GmbH, Austria

             .  A 500 MHz BiCMOS GByte/Second SCI-Link Implementation
                Wayne Nation, IBM

             .  The STC104 Asynchronous Packet Switch
                Peter Thompson, INMOS Ltd.

3:45-4:30    Break

4:30-5:30    CPUs - 2
             Session Chair: Don Alpert, Intel

             .  The New i960 CPU that offers More for Less, the P100
                Richard Brunner/Deif Atallah, Intel

             .  SH-II- A Low Power RISC Micro for Consumer Applications
                Shumpei Kawasaki, Hitachi

5:30-7:30    Buffet Dinner

7:00-9:00    Evening Panel Session
             The Investor (Venture) Community View of What's Hot
             Moderator: Forest Baskett,  Silicon Graphics
             Panelists: Cliff Friedman,  Bear Stearns
                        Stephen Shapiro, Tiger Management
                        Peter Thomas,    Institutional Venture Partners

August 16, 1994:

9:00-10:00   Chipsets
             Session Chair: Allen Baum, Apple Computer

             .  82430NX PCIset: Companion to the Highest
                Performance Pentium Processor
                Patrick Correia, Intel Corporation

             .  A Power PC/PCI Bridge Chip with a
                Cache and Memory Controller
                Karl Wang, Motorola, Inc.

10:00-10:30  Break

10:30-12:30  Graphics
             Session Chair: Ruby Lee, Hewlett Packard

             .  An ASIC for Interactive 3D Graphics
                Stephanie Winner, Apple Computer Inc.

             .  GLiNT - a 3D Graphiucs Processor Based on the OpenGL Standard
                Neil Trevett, DuPont Pixel

             .  The Smart Frame Buffer Goes Hollywood: 3D and TV
                Joel McCormack, Digital Equipment Corporation

             .  A Cached VRAM for 3D Graphics
                Michael Deering, SUN Microsystems

12:30-2:00   Lunch

2:00-3:30    Video
             Session Chair: Anoop Gupta, Stanford University

             .  Video Compression Processor for H.320-to-Indeo Transcoding
                Bryan Martin, Integrated Information Technology

             .  A High Performance Programmable Multi-Standard
                Video Compression Chip Set
                David Still, Array Microsystems Inc.

             .  Multimedia Enhancements for PA-RISC Processors
                Ruby Lee, Hewlett-Packard

3:30-4:00    Break

4:00-6:00    CPUs - 3
             Session Chair: Alan J. Smith, UC Berkeley

             .  PowerPC 604
                Marvin Denman, IBM

             .  The Thunder SPARC Processor
                Bruce Lightner, Metaflow Technologies Inc.

             .  The Superscalar Hardware Architecture of the MC68060
                Joe Circello, Motorola

             .  A High Performance, Low Power, Pentium Processor
                Doug Carmean, Lawrence Clark, Robert Rozploch, Intel

6:00         Closing Remarks

HOUSING INFORMATION

Housing is available on the Stanford University campus in student
dormatories which are vacant in the summer. These have central lavatory
facilities and cost about $40 per night --- single, $50 per night ---
double, for the nights of the symposium. A key deposit of $50 is
required that will be refunded at checkout. Housing arrangements on the
Stanford campus must be made by August 4 through HOT Chips, not
Stanford.

Housing is also available at numerous hotels and motels on the
peninsula in Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Mountain View, and Los Altos within
5 miles of the campus. You are responsible for making such reservations
directly with the motel.

If you would like additional housing information, please check the housing
information request box on the registration form.

IEEE/Computer Society Membership

To join call John Gill at (202) 371-0101. With confirmation, you may
register for HOT Chips VI at member rates.

QUESTIONS?

For more information on registration and local arrangements contact Dr.
Robert Stewart at (415) 941-6699 or r.stewart@compmail.com.

REGISTRATION INCLUDES:

* Attendance                       * Sunday Evening Wine &
* One Copy of the Notes              Cheese Reception
* Two Luncheons                    * Monday Evening Reception
* Coffee Breaks                    * Parking

A Stanford map, parking permit, the location of parking, and a receipt
will be mailed to early registrants.

ON-SITE REGISTRATION is available Sunday morning before the tutorial
and each morning at the Symposium.  Early advanced registration is
recommended because of the large attendance.

Group discounts are available.

CANCELLATION OF REGISTRATION: Must be made in writing prior to Sunday,
August 7, 1994. A $40 fee will be charged for cancellation.

FEDERAL TAX ID NUMBER IS: 13-1656633 for the

Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers
345 E. 47th Street
New York, NY  10017

Use certified mail for registration confirmation.

                      HOT CHIPS VI REGISTRATION FORM

Name________________________________________________________________________

Organization________________________________________________________________

Dept/Mail Stop______________________________________________________________

Mailing Address_____________________________________________________________

City/State/Zip______________________________________________________________

Country_____________________________________________________________________

Area Code/Phone #___________________________________________________________

Email Address_______________________________________________________________

FAX_________________________________________________________________________

Membership:       IEEE/CS______          ACM_______

                  Student______          None______

Society Membership Number___________________________________________________

Check One:

______Check drawn on a U.S. Bank                    ______MasterCard
      Make Check Payable To:
      Hot Chips Symposium                           ______VISA

Name on Credit Card_________________________________________________________

Credit Card #_______________________________________________________________

Expiration Date_____________________________________________________________

Signature___________________________________________________________________

FEES: CIRCLE APPROPRIATE VALUES

IEEE/Computer Society            $230
or ACM Member

Non-Member                       $290

Student Member                   $100

Sunday Tutorials, Member         $45

Tutorials, Non-Member            $60

Tutorials, Student               $30

Extra Copy of Notebook           $30
(with no mailing)

Stanford University Dormitory Housing
______ nights @$40 per night single; $50 double $_________

Arrival__________________  Departure___________________

TOTAL AMOUNT PAID               ______________

Electronic Registration, paid via VISA or Mastercard Registration:

FAX:    (415) 941-5048
EMAIL:  r.stewart@compmail.com

Surface Mail Registration To:

			Dr. Robert G. Stewart