Subject: Re: 5 Volt tolerance - Altera
From: Al Clark <dsp@danvillesignal.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:16:01 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"GMM50" <george.martin@att.net> wrote in
news:1119375054.622966.257160@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

>> I am using a MAX II part in a new design with 3.3V supplies.
>> I understand why the inputs might not be 5 volt tolerant.
>
> Be careful with your terms.  5 volt tolerant means that the device can
> survice and operate connected to other 5 volt devices.  Typically it's
> used when a 3.3 or lower voltage device is connected to a 5 volt
> device and means that the 5 vold device won't damage the 3.3 volt
> device.
>
> 5 volt compatible means that the 3.3 volt device will receive and
> transmit 5 volt voltage levels ignals.  TTL compatible means TTL
> signal levels and CMOS compatible means CMOS voltage levels
>
>> Altera states that the outputs are not 5 volt tolerant when driving
>> CMOS but are OK for TTL. Since TTL is essentially dead, I'm not sure
>> this is of any real benefit, however this is not my main concern.
>
> Change your word tolerant to compatible and perhaps your sentence
> becomes clearer.
>
>> I don't see why there would be any problem driving a CMOS input
>> provided that the CMOS input will accept 3.3V signals as high. There
>> certainly isn't going to be any significant current flow into the
>> CMOS gate.
>
> Hope this helped.
>
> gm

I don't have any issue with your terminology. I think the reason I
suggested 5 volt tolerant was because Altera goes to great length talking
about pullup resistors and clamping diodes for output signals which
implied that there might be a "tolerance issue" .

I think that Altera could have been clearer by stating that the part can
drive TTL compatible inputs rather than simply stating TTL. TTL parts are
members of families such as the 74LS. TTL compatible are parts like the
members of the 74HCT family (and many others).

All Altera really needed to do was discuss the Vih threshold issue in the
first place.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.