Subject: Re: Stupid Xilinx Patent
From: Austin Lesea <austin.lesea@xilinx.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:55:53 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Tom,

The Golgafrinchian Ark "B" had no lawyers on it.  Perhaps this is the reason why.

If you search for patents in my name, (or Peter's) you may be amused at what is
"patentable."  I hope no one gets "insensed."

There are many fine legal distinctions that I do not pretend to understand, and the laws
are changing daily.

As it was explained to me, "new" and "obvious" have totally legal meanings when it comes to
patents.  The laws in different countries are also different.

So it may be old, and obvious to you, but within the very narrow confines of patent law, it
may be "new" and not "obvious" and thus, patentable.

Also, "one skilled in the art" is another of my favorite phrases, as unless you work for
one of two companies, you really don't know anything at all about the design, care, and
feeding, or the internal guts of the ultra-deep sub micron FPGA technologies.

If we would have patented a few use related issues back in the 2000 days, no one would have
been able to use LUTS in FPGA's at all.  It isn't the LUT itself, it is the use of the LUT
in an FPGA to do something.  If that has never been done before, and it is by definition
"new," and even if every customer uses it (after all, you didn't need a license to use a
Polaroid Camera), you are "protected" (whatever the hell that means).

I suggest that anyone really hot about this issue go work as an expert witness for awhile:
excellent pay (even while traveling!), good food, short hours.  Email us with the number of
months you could stomach it, before you give up the fat living, and go back to a real job
in total disgust and disillusionment.......

Austin

Tom Seim wrote:

> It might help to look at the big picture: America's economy is largely
> based on a technology lead over the rest of the world (we certainly
> are not going to compete with China on wage rates). Patents are a key
> part of protecting our technology edge.
> Are there dumb, obvious, bizare and ridiculous patents? Of course, but
> we have a legal system for sorting that out (those poor, destitute
> lawyers have to make a living some how, God knows that they don't have
> any useful skills).
>
> Tom Seim
>
> Kolja Sulimma <kolja@sulimma.de> wrote in message news:<3B399C0B.2A2CAA4@sulimma.de>...
> > cyber_spook wrote:
> >
> > > Being a Fan of Peter I don't wish to upset him... but these are my
> > > views...
> >
> > I sincerely hope we can have contrary views in this newgroup without
> > upsetting anybody.
> >
> > Besides:
> > Peter is known for taking a lot of beating in this newsgroup for things that
> > are not his fault
> > And he still continues with his invaluable support.
> >
> > Kolja Sulimma

Article: 32476