Subject: Re: Choosing FPGAs: Xilinx vs Altera vs Actel vs Lattice
From: Gupta <gupt@hotmail.com.NOSPAM>
Date: 05 Aug 2004 10:32:42 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Thanks for both your replies Paul.  Just one point of clarification.
I haven't looked carefully at Lattice's Flash products, but I did look
at Actel's products.  Actel's Flash devices do not use SRAM at all.
Instead, the configuration memory is using Flash cells instead of SRAM
cells.  You are absolutely right that due to this, they are one
process node behind Xilinx/Altera; they will ship 130nm this year.

Ok, I think I am now beginning to see the picture a bit.  It sounds
like a very daunting task to choose a FPGA device.  The free software
tools on the web help (have to download and fire those up).

Paul, do you have any idea how many people are using FPGAs for
shipping products ?  I am wondering if most FPGAs are still being used
for prototyping.  I remember reading that the Rio MP3 player had
FPGAs - were those relatively small FPGAs or CPLDs ?  I ask because
the large multi-million gate devices seem to be too expensive, both
in terms of price and power, to ship in products .. right ?

Thanks again.
Sumit

Article: 72001