Subject: Re: See Peter's High-Wire Act next Tuesday
From: glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:06:39 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Jim Granville wrote:
(snip about benchmarks and lies, not that benchmarks have
ever done better than that.  Remember MIPS...

Meaningless Indicator of Processor Speed.)

> Then you need another class of benchmarks, that ARE public ?

> If you look at the EEBC (sp?) Embedded controll benchmarks, they also
> extend the meaning of benchmarks by having TWO columns.

> a) = "out of the Box" = Std tools, Compilers, not hand level
> tuned in assembler, or using special HW fabric.

> b)"Optimised" = Experienced designer, hand optimised Assembler,and
> using all relevant special HW fabric.

> Not surprisingly, there can be 10:1 or 100:1 between a) and b)

> So, how about making some PUBLIC simple candidate benchmarks ?

I thought about this some years ago, what is needed is a
scalable benchmark that can adjust to the size of the FPGA.
At the time I don't think it was very practical, but it might be
better now.   FPGAs are bigger, so the error due to requiring a
whole number of units to fit is smaller.

One possibility could be an N bit processor where N is adjusted
as appropriate.  Another is N of your favorite vendor
independent processor, the smaller the better.  For each device
N is adjusted to maximize the product of N and the speed, thus
balancing routing effects.  (If you pack too much in the routing
can slow down the logic.)

Other scalable design ideas could be offered.

-- glen

Article: 78601