Subject: Power supply design
From: "Piotr Wyderski" <wyderskiREMOVE@ii.uni.wroc.pl>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:37:46 +0200

I would like to build a prototype power supply for my
project, and since I don't have real data about its power
consumption, I need some estimations. Could you
please tell me (basing on your experience and previous
designs) how much current does a Cyclone 1C6 running
at 180 MHz need? I know that this heavily depends on
the design, but I just need an overestimated approximation.
Remaining parameters: V_core = 1.5V, V_io = 3.3V,
with only LVCMOS devices connected to the IO pins
(i.e. no LEDs etc.). I am particularly interested in the
design of V_core section, beause the 3.3V part will
have a high-performance SMPS capable up to ~12A,
but I don't know whether there should be a SMPS for
1.5V (I_core > say 1A) or just a linear regulator (I_core <= 1A).

    Best regards
    Piotr Wyderski

Article: 82701