Subject: Re: FPGA Hobbyist and their software/programmer/hardware
From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 15:39:09 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <1994Aug13.215500.26985@xilinx.com> mcgett@xilinx.com (Ed McGettigan) writes:
>  1. First you need to have a design that takes up a lot of gates...
>  2. Now you need a design entry system...
>  3. You need a dynamic simulator that interfaces with your DES...
>  4. You need a place and route tool...
>  5. You need a static timing analyzer...
>  6. Finally you need to generate the programming bit stream...
>  7. You need a programmer to program the chip...

Golly gosh, I wonder how we ever managed to make TTL or CMOS circuits work
without dynamic simulators, and place&route tools, and timing analyzers...
Yet somehow we did it.  Even big ones, sometimes.

Hobbyists, and engineers trying to sell their managements on spending $$$
for a "real" development system, would be quite willing to do a lot of
this stuff by hand to reduce up-front investment.  The only part of the
above list that is really essential to the low-end market is #7 (and #6 if
your technology isn't up to building reverse-engineering-proof chips).  For
the rest, all the low-end users need is adequate documentation on what the
rules are.

If you're worried about support costs, make the low-end support interface
a high-priced 900 number.  Very few low-end users will ever call it.
--
"It was blasphemy that made us free."              |       Henry Spencer
                        -- Leon Wieseltler         |   henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Article: 101
: >  1. First you need to have a design that takes up a lot of gates...
: >  2. Now you need a design entry system...
: >  3. You need a dynamic simulator that interfaces with your DES...
: >  4. You need a place and route tool...
: >  5. You need a static timing analyzer...
: >  6. Finally you need to generate the programming bit stream...
: >  7. You need a programmer to program the chip...

: Golly gosh, I wonder how we ever managed to make TTL or CMOS circuits work
: without dynamic simulators, and place&route tools, and timing analyzers...
: Yet somehow we did it.  Even big ones, sometimes.

: Hobbyists, and engineers trying to sell their managements on spending $$$
: for a "real" development system, would be quite willing to do a lot of
: this stuff by hand to reduce up-front investment.

Maybe a few hobbyists and engineers would, but in general, I doubt it
very much.  If this were true, hobbyists and engineers would also save
$$$ by writing their own C/C++ compilers, instead of buying one from
SUN, Microsoft, etc.  The tools you're talking about are not simple,
and the amount of time you'd spend rolling your own would certainly
cost more (unless you're unusually cheap :->) than if you bought the
vendor's tools up front.

I think the majority of hobbyists who love spending hours wire wrapping
TTL and poking around with a logic probe would not have the inclination
to develop map/place/route (at a minimum) required to move their hobby
into an FPGA (I'm sure some of you would, but not many).  And the few
who would do this certainly do not drive the market.

-- Ian
--
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
                        Opinions expressed here are a product of my

Article: 102
>: >  1. First you need to have a design that takes up a lot of gates...
>: >  2. Now you need a design entry system...
>: >  3. You need a dynamic simulator that interfaces with your DES...
>: >  4. You need a place and route tool...
>: >  5. You need a static timing analyzer...
>: >  6. Finally you need to generate the programming bit stream...
>: >  7. You need a programmer to program the chip...
>
>: Golly gosh, I wonder how we ever managed to make TTL or CMOS circuits work
>: without dynamic simulators, and place&route tools, and timing analyzers...
>: Yet somehow we did it.  Even big ones, sometimes.

I suspect that a lot of hobbyists (myself included) do not really push the
technology to the limit very often. It's nice to have a good logic analyser
when doing close-to-max-speed TTL designs, but let's face it, a lot of hobbyist
stuff runs at <10MHz. And I suspect that hobbyists do not need to get maximum
utilisation out of the FPGAs.

Hell, I have been known to patch the JEDEC files that I program GALs from. And
the only tool I have to generate those files is a program that converts the
optimised equations into the JEDEC file. I have to design the circuit, and
produce the equations in the right form, myself.

Simulators - don't trust them. Nothing I have ever designed has evern been on a
simulator. Yes, I design pretty high-speed (50MHz +...) digital circuits, which
work first time.

>: Hobbyists, and engineers trying to sell their managements on spending $$$
>: for a "real" development system, would be quite willing to do a lot of
>: this stuff by hand to reduce up-front investment.
>

>Maybe a few hobbyists and engineers would, but in general, I doubt it

Look at Linux for what hobyists do on there own :-)

>very much.  If this were true, hobbyists and engineers would also save
>$$$ by writing their own C/C++ compilers, instead of buying one from

Some do. I chose not to, but I could have done if I'd wanted to. The necessary
information to write said compiler is easily available.

>-- Ian
>--

-tony

Bristol University takes no responsibility for the views expressed in this
posting. They are the personal views of the user concerned.

Article: 103