Subject: Re: XactStep6 - The cure for a dongle
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroo8m@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 10 Apr 1998 14:56:53 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
> > No, it is an anti-trust issue if they do not make the correct
documentation
> > available to third party manufacturers at the same time they have it.
> >

> Unless there have been special limiations or restrictions placed on Intel
that
> is incorrect.

If they make both the CPU, and the system board, they must give equal
oportunity to other system board designers (with certain limitations) the
same information, as they hold a clearly dominant position in the market
place.  If they originally came out with the CPU and system board as one
unit, than this would not be a problem, but because they ONLY made the CPU
originally, and other manufacturers developed the system boards, and now,
they are intentionally restricting the ability of other manufacturers to
compete with them.....that is anti-trust.

>There are plenty of companies with the
> resources to go up against Intel if they wanted to. Samsung, Hitachi,
etc. DEC
> could have done it if they hadn't had a bonehead running the Alpha
marketing.

You are right, but that was then, and this is now.