Subject: Re: Can a cross coupled latch "oscillate"? was Re: ..........
From: ems@riverside-machines.com.NOSPAM
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 12:47:19 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 19:12:43 -0800, "Bruce Nepple"
<brucen@imagenation.extra.com> wrote:

> Peter, you seem to be missing the point which is that the cross coupled
> latch, as I described it, will oscillate, illustrating the effect which
> causes metastability.  You claim that model is bogus.  You are incorrect.

I think this is somewhat unfair on Peter. It's obvious, and I'm sure
he agrees, that your thought experiment will work; if you change two
inputs to an async circuit 'simultaneously' then it may oscillate.

What he actually said was 'go to the lab... try it' (and presumably
not with a 1973-vintage 7400). A *real* circuit recovers from
metastable behaviour, and the tendency to recover is experimentally
measured as the tau parameter (which, in xilinx app notes, is 1/K2).
An XC4005E-3 has a tau of about 0.05, which means, in practice, that
you're *very* unlikely to see any metastable event continue for more
than about 2ns beyond the normal propagation delay (corresponding
figures for 74F logic are 0.4 and about 11ns, respectively). In other
words, infinite oscillation doesn't happen, and, with better
technologies, you may not get *any* oscillation.

>There is no need to reply further if you cannot answer this 2 part question:

Or, of course, if you don't want to.

Evan

Article: 13901