Subject: Re: Asynchronous State Machines and HDLs
From: "steve synakowski" <srs@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 14:18:54 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

"Jim Ranlett" <ballsofsteel@rcsis.com> wrote in message
news:53de32df.0305211648.7e8fcb54@posting.google.com...
> I want to implement a state machine in a small PLD or FPGA using some
> sort of HDL like AHDL, WinCUPL, etc.  However, I don't want to supply
> an external clock to the part.  I'd like to know if it is possible to
> use an inverter inside the CPLD, feeding back the output of the
> inverter to the input of the inverter, thus creating a "clock".  Then,
> I want to attach that "clock" to the part's global clock net and use
> that clock as the clock for my state machine.
>
> Is something like this possible?
>
> What I'm really trying to do is implement an asynchronous state
> machine that changes state only when its inputs change, without regard
> to clocks.  I don't have a clock to supply to the system.  What I'm
> finding, though, is most HDLs assume state machines are synchronous
> and expect a clock.  (and reset, for that matter.)
>
> If I have to use a clock to implement the state machine, I would of
> course have to synchronise the asynchronous inputs with the state
> machine clock.  Simple enough, but I'd really rather not have to
> supply an external clock to the system if at all possible.
>
> I'm not limiting myself to any particular part of language, but I'd
> like to try to keep to what I'm familiar with (AHDL, WinCUPL, etc.)
> Other parts and HDL suggestions are welcome, especially those that
> might have Async State Machine constructs.
>
> FYI, I expect the state machine to have 4 inputs, 4 outputs (the
> outputs are NOT the state bits but different), and 13 defined states
> (implying 4 state bits).
>
> (It seems that most HDLs default to D flipflops as the state bits, and
> D-flops need a clock.  Is there anyway to default to, say, a JK flop
> and not require a clock, but derive next state equations for the J & K
> inputs?  A compiler that does this would be great, as I expect the
> equations to be rather cumbersome for me to realize manually.)
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jim Ranlett

This tells about how to create an internal clock:
Steve
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=3D0EB699
.78E095E0%40earthlink.net&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dinternal%2Boscillator%2B
group:comp.arch.fpga%2Bauthor:alfke%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUT
F-8%26selm%3D3D0EB699.78E095E0%2540earthlink.net%26rnum%3D2
Search - Internal oscillator in CPLD? in Comp.arch.fpga

Article: 55876