Subject: Re: using fpga for sampling audio
From: "valentin tihomirov" <valentin_NOSPAM_NOWORMS@abelectron.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:13:13 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
> Is this for research, or a product.  If product, is cost a concern?
> Is your heart set on using an FPGA, or would you consider cheaper
> alternatives even if it means you don't get to play with those neat
> FPGAs?
This should be a product; thus cost makes sense.

> Is this for a VoIP system?  If so, 512 samples at 8kHz will add 64 mS
> of latency.  I.e., lag would make conversation quality suffer.
This is not a problem for a recording system.

> You could probably use 8 dual ported FIFOs and the AXIS reads from
> these FIFOs could be decoded.  E.g., base+0 for ch 0, base+1 for ch 1,
> etc.
I was asked for expediency of doing this looking for an efficient way of
reading streams from perephriental. Thanks for approving.

Article: 66876
Subject: Re: Polyphase filter
From: "Kelvin @ SG" <kelvin8157@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:36:02 +0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
if you intend to implement the filter in an FPGA, it will be a pain to have
so many derived clocks.
if you do partial reconfiguration, the probability of P&R trouble can be
very high...

just my 2c...

Kelvin

> > Working on a polyphase decimator and interpolator.  I'm trying to use
the
> > same chunk-o-logic to implement both functions.  In either case, it is
> > easiest to drive the control logic from the fastest of the two clocks.
I'm
> > trying to figure out the most elegant way to achieve this.  Any
thoughts,
> > ideas, links?
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> If you can work this out, it would be the easiest:
>
> Say you have a set of frequencies you want to handle:
>
> {f1, f2, f3, f4...fn}
>
> Clock your control logic at a frequency that can generate all of these
> other frequencies.  E.g., for {2,3,5,6 whateverHz}, select your
> control clock to be 30 whateverHz.  To clock data in or out of the
> decimator/interpolators, use clock enables that are synchronous to the
> data and the control clock but have a duration of 1 control clock.
>
> Slightly off topic, but if you're doing this fixed point, you might
> have to adjust gains depending on input and output rate for consistent
> scaling.

Article: 66877
Subject: area constrains in UCF (or PACE)
From: "Yttrium" <Yttrium@pandora.be>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:19:13 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
hey, for now i just use

AREA_GROUP "AreaGroupName" RANGE = SLICE_X0Y79:SLICE_X27Y54 ;
INST "/" AREA_GROUP = " AreaGroupName " ;

as area constraint but i can't really find how you can place your individual
components?

let's say you have a root component A which is composed by components B and
C how can you say that you want

B in the range X0Y0:X10Y10
C in the range X11Y0:X20Y10
and if possible A in the range X0Y0:X30Y30

i thought it should be something like

INST "/B" ... or INST "/A/B"... but it all gives an error ...

btw i'm using xst (ise6.1) ...

thanx in advance for you comments,

kind regards,

Subject: Active contour model on FPGA
From: chen7398@ms32.hinet.net (YunghaoCheng)
Date: 28 Feb 2004 06:05:08 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Active contour model is used widly in machine vision and most of them
are implemented on PC.
Does anyone knows any documents or reference papers which describe the
method of how to implement the active contour model(snake) on FPGA?

Article: 66879
Subject: Re: FPGA implementation of ARM and IA32 ISA
From: johnjakson@yahoo.com (john jakson)
Date: 28 Feb 2004 06:24:14 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"khoa nguyen" <jeffn@ihug.com.au> wrote in message news:<c1p5k1$5sm$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> I'd like to support the ARM and IA32 ISA on an FPGA. At the moment Im unsure
> if I can do this. So what I thought is that if only I have some small clean
> test bench of both ISA's, then I could start supporting those small set of
> instructions. Later on I would add in the rest.
>
> Im wondering if there's anyone that happens to have some small clean test
> benchs or even applications, then could you forward them to me.
>
> thanks heaps.

About the time when Pentium 100 was introduced, there were a number of
authers that wrote books on optimising x86 code to run as fast as
possible. I have a few of these but in the office so I can't recall
names v books.

The jist of one of these "  ... Inner Loops ..." was that if you
limited yourself to certain ops, you could get x86 to perform very
well indeed ie 1 or 2 ops per cycle if paired right. He breaks the
instruction set down into many groups, the fastest, the oks, the
maybes, the never use ect, & the whatever.

If you build a risc to execute those 1st 2-3 groups you would have a
risc that doesn't execute most x86 code since most compilers probably
generate some of the lesser codes from time to time. Also the risc
would suffer the same horrible design decisions that Intel made almost
30yrs ago. IE var length byte encodings.

Now as any AMD/Intel person would say, even though its horrible, those
wierd var length ops are understood, its possible to do in VLSI with
transister muxes very well so it becomes a minor headache. But FPGAs
are expensive to use muxes to the extent x86 needs them.

The alternative is to use time based state machine to peel the ops
apart but that would be very slow.

I would suggest staying away from x86 ISA as being the most complex
underpowered ISA around.

I would suggest staying away from Arm as their lawyers are aggresive,
but it is a much easier target.

regards

johnjakson_usa_com

Article: 66880
Subject: Re: Xilinx ISE Impact crashes during configuration
From: Marc Guardiani <marc@guardiani.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:39:35 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Are you trying to use Windows NT? Xilinx no longer supports NT and this
causes both Impact and Core Generator to crash on my system.

Mahim Mishra wrote:
> I am trying to configure a toy application with a small FPGA component
> and a small PoewerPC component on a Xilinx xc2vp20 FPGA mounted on an
> AFX development board. I am using Xilinx EDK 6.1.2 and Xilinx ISE
> 6.1.03i. I am able to generate run all the compilation steps, but when
> I try to configure the FPGA using the generated .bit, .bmm and .elf
> files, Impact crashes with the error message
>
>  "FATAL_ERROR:GuiUtilities:WinApp.c:657: $Revision - ...."
>
> The Xlinx Answers Database is not being very useful. Does anyone have
> any idea what I may be doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Mahim

Article: 66881
Subject: Re: Dual-stack (Forth) processors
From: Max <mtj2@btopenworld.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:29:36 +0000 (UTC)
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:12:00 GMT, Martin Euredjian wrote:

>> When I reply to a top-posted message with a sig -- like yours --
>> everything below the sig is gone, as here. The _)(*&^%$#@!! news program
>> snips it all silently.
>
>Really?  That's amazing.  Why would they do that?

Because it's implicit in the Usenet standards. The signature seperator
is defined as a line consisting of:

One of the relevant standards (possibly RFC850, but I can't remember
for sure) states that the sig should always be stripped in replies,
and the better newspeaders do it automatically. Usenet standards
always assume bottom-posting, so this behaviour is convenient.

>Maybe you need to try a different reader.  I'm using Outlook Express and
>directly off the Web when travelling with a browser.

Outlook Express breaks all sorts of standards, and can't be regarded
as a real news reader in consequence (it's barely adequate even as a
mail client). As an example, OE strips all trailing spaces on lines,
so it cannot generate a standard-compliant sig seperator. It also does
quoting incorrectly, by adding a space following the quote character,
and by wrapping quoted lines at the same length as new text (it will
also wrap continuous strings - hence the fragmented URLs in OE posts).

I can't even
begin  to illustrate all of OE's misbehaviour, but this paragraph
demonstrates one of it's more fatuous foibles - OE users can't even
read it, since it's assumed to be a script attachment!

--
  Max

Article: 66882
Subject: Re: Spartan 3 / XCF02S JTAG problem
From: "David Kinsell" <kinsell@poboxyz.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:36:31 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

"Jon Beniston" <jon@beniston.com> wrote in message news:e87b9ce8.0402240800.32041d0d@posting.google.com...
> > I have a board that has a XCF02S and Spartan 3 400 (ES) connected in a
> > JTAG chain (the XCF02S is first in the chain). Attempting to
> > initialise the chain in Impact fails because the IDCODE coming out of
> > the FPGA is invalid (I have verified this on a scope - It is
> > reproducibly incorrect, and always the same value). Looking at the TDO
> > pin of the XCF02S / TDI pin of the FPGA, I can see that the IDCODE
> > coming out of the XCF02S is correct.
> >
> > If I take the XCF02S out of the chain, then the IDCODE from the FPGA
> > is correct and Impact is able to program the device.
> >
> > Should the value on the TDI pin of the FPGA effect the output of the
> > IDCODE?

Sure, all commands are shifted serially through the chain, so a problem upstream
will cause malfunctions downstream.

> I just tried reversing the order of the JTAG chain (FPGA first, then
> PROM) and it now works. After numerious experiments, it seems that if
> there is any activity on the FPGA's TDI pin, then the IDCODE wont be
> output successfully.

We've seen different problems with an XCF02S in the chain ahead of a Spartan 2
part.  Done never goes high on the Spartan when attempting JTAG programming.
Take the XCF02 out of the chain and it works.  Discovered that if the XCF02 is
blank, then we can program the Spartan OK.  Xilinx has some answer records
(18644 and others) on related issues, but that didn't seem to apply to us.

Article: 66883
Subject: netlist - technology remapping
From: "valentin tihomirov" <valentin_NOSPAM_NOWORMS@abelectron.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:38:37 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
There is a netlist synthesied, say, for an ASIC technology. The netlist
should be prototyped on FPGA. Therefore, it should be implemented by FPGA
vendor's tools. Implementation should be done automatically for any netlist
given in EDIF format. Functionality of primitives is known. One of the
solutions is to create a VHDL netlist and resynthesize. It would be possible
to bypass VHDL export and synthesis by building (on-the-fly) a macro-library
of the ASIC primitives out of vendor's primitives, specifically out of
Xilinx's UniSim primitives. Please, give the idea, what are the macro-libs
and how can they be created? Thanks.

Article: 66884
From: Max <mtj2@btopenworld.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:00:43 +0000 (UTC)
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:30:28 GMT, Randy Yates wrote:

>Perhaps the problem isn't top- or bottom-posting per se, but that the
>quoting method used is inconsistent. If folks are careful to ensure
>the "Tom says:" lines are properly maintained and use the same quote
>character and indentation style, either posting style is fairly easily-
>parsed, in my opinion.

While your point is entirely sensible, it just doesn't work, since the
most common "news client" in use is probably Outlook Express (Outlook
proper can't do NNTP at all), and it simply ignores many Usenet
standards. OE users are prevented from quoting correctly, or even
generating a standard sig separator.

Personally, I'm not too fussed about top-posting per se. What does
irritate is the lazy poster who can't be bothered to edit the quoted
text at all, so you end up with reams of irrelevant chat going back to
the original post. I'm just as likely to ignore such a post
irrespective of whether the new text is at the top or the bottom.

--
  Max

Article: 66885
Subject: OT Re: Dual-stack (Forth) processors
From: rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:53:43 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Max wrote:
> I can't even
> begin  to illustrate all of OE's misbehaviour, but this paragraph
> demonstrates one of it's more fatuous foibles - OE users can't even
> read it, since it's assumed to be a script attachment!

I don't want to continue an OT conversation posted to so many groups,
but can you explain what that means?  Why does OE assume the above
paragraph is a script attachment?  I don't see anything special about
it.  Hmmm... is it the word
begin  at the start of a line with two spaces after it?

Subject: Re: netlist - technology remapping
From: mike_treseler@comcast.net (Mike Treseler)
Date: 28 Feb 2004 10:41:49 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"valentin tihomirov" wrote:

> There is a netlist synthesized, say, for an ASIC technology. The netlist
> should be prototyped on FPGA. Therefore, it should be implemented by FPGA
> vendor's tools. Implementation should be done automatically for any netlist
> given in EDIF format.

Consider getting vhdl source code and
running synthesis for each target.

> It would be possible
> to bypass VHDL export and synthesis by building (on-the-fly) a macro-library
> of the ASIC primitives out of vendor's primitives, specifically out of
> Xilinx's UniSim primitives.

Possible, but it might be more efficient in time
and gates to write synth code from scratch.

Subject: Re: FSM in fpga's
From: mike_treseler@comcast.net (Mike Treseler)
Date: 28 Feb 2004 11:03:28 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"Avinash Sharma" wrote:

> is it true that one-hot encoding for FSM's is used in FPGA's? If so,
> why? is it due to the large amount of registers available i.e: enough
> registers to store all states? what kind of encoding is using in ASIC's?

Try it both ways and see for yourself.
Be sure to cover all the state cases.

see thread:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=vhdl+one+hot+fsm+stuck+nic

Subject: netlist tricks
From: "T. Irmen" <tirmen@gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:10:49 +0100

to everyone who thought about doing calculations with netlists . eg.
external pins, internal states are known (from reset state) to figure out
the remaining signals, lets say 100% visibility.

Does anybody thought about that?

kind regards,
thomas

Article: 66889
From: "Kevin Neilson" <kevin_neilson@removethiscomcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:29:16 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"valentin tihomirov" <valentin_NOSPAM_NOWORMS@abelectron.com> wrote in
message news:c1qck8$1ld1dc$1@ID-212430.news.uni-berlin.de...
> There is a netlist synthesied, say, for an ASIC technology. The netlist
> should be prototyped on FPGA. Therefore, it should be implemented by FPGA
> vendor's tools. Implementation should be done automatically for any
netlist
> given in EDIF format. Functionality of primitives is known. One of the
> solutions is to create a VHDL netlist and resynthesize. It would be
possible
> to bypass VHDL export and synthesis by building (on-the-fly) a
macro-library
> of the ASIC primitives out of vendor's primitives, specifically out of
> Xilinx's UniSim primitives. Please, give the idea, what are the macro-libs
> and how can they be created? Thanks.

I think it would be possible to make, say, a Perl script that would convert
ASIC primitives into FPGA primitives.  I don't know if it would be very
efficient, though.  The ASIC primitives will be things like AND gates,
whereas the FPGA primitives are LUTs that can absorb several gates.  A very
simple scripts would map a single gate to a single LUT and not be efficient,
so the best bet is to resynthesize the source if you can.  I suppose if you
could do that, you wouldn't be asking the question though.
-Kevin

Article: 66890
Subject: Pbl uploading code on a Spartan II board
From: "Fargo" <fargoNOfr2002SPAM@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:39:56 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
hi,
I've bought an evaluation board with a Spartan II on it and made a JTAG
cable with the schematic :
http://www.embeddedtronics.com/public/Electronics/xiprog/schematics/xiprog_s
chematic.pdf
I'm using ISE webpack 6.1

My cable is detected :
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT1).
Checking cable driver.
Driver windrvr.sys version = 5.0.5.1.
LPT base address = 0378h.
Cable connection established.
CB_PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time =      1 sec.

The pbl is when I try to retreive the boundary scan chain, Impact find a
bunch of 28 non xilinx devices.
In fact there is only the xc2s100 on the board....
When i've search on the web for a solution i've found that it may be
possible to change the LPT clock speed by adding an environment variable but
the speed is always set to 200kHz...

Thanks for your answers

Damien
(excuse me for my english)

Article: 66891
From: Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:20:57 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Clock enables are your friend.  The processing of the samples does not have to
be spaced equally in time.  All that matters is that the samples are spaced
equally when converting to/from analog.  For example, if the sampling is at
15/16 of the filter's clock, you can disable the filter for one clock in 16.
It makes the filtering much easier with multiple sample rates if the whole
filter ban is running off a single clock.  With bit serial filters, you get
even more flexibility.

From: mahim_usenet@yahoo.com (Mahim Mishra)
Date: 28 Feb 2004 16:15:52 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Marc Guardiani <marc@guardiani.com> wrote in message news:<HK10c.6931$TF2.3072@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>...
> Are you trying to use Windows NT?

Should have mentioned this. I am using Windows XP.

> Mahim Mishra wrote:
> > I am trying to configure a toy application with a small FPGA component
> > and a small PoewerPC component on a Xilinx xc2vp20 FPGA mounted on an
> > AFX development board. I am using Xilinx EDK 6.1.2 and Xilinx ISE
> > 6.1.03i. I am able to generate run all the compilation steps, but when
> > I try to configure the FPGA using the generated .bit, .bmm and .elf
> > files, Impact crashes with the error message
> >
> >  "FATAL_ERROR:GuiUtilities:WinApp.c:657: $Revision - ...."
> >
> > The Xlinx Answers Database is not being very useful. Does anyone have
> > any idea what I may be doing wrong?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mahim

Article: 66893
Subject: Xilinx iMPACT error: "Done did not go high"
From: mahim_usenet@yahoo.com (Mahim Mishra)
Date: 28 Feb 2004 19:33:22 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I have a Virtex xc2vp20 FPGA mounted on a Xilinx HW-AFX-FF1152 board.
The FPGA is in a JTAG chain with two ROM modules, although I am not
using the ROM modules right now.

I am trying to learn how to use the embedded PowerPC module on the
FPGA, and for this purpose, trying to implement the example design
that Xilinx gives with their EDK tutorial. After I carry out all the
implementation steps (with some small modifications to account for my
board) and generate a bitstream, I am not able to download it onto the
FPGA using iMPACT. iMPACT reports "Programming stopped: Done did not
go high". The "DONE" LED on the board does light up, however, but the
application does nothing (of course, I have no way of knowing if the
application is correctly implemented at this stage). Also, the board's
"Program" button becomes completely unresponsive after the failed
configuration and I have to power-cycle the board to use it again.

Here is the setup I have:

1. HW-AFX-FF1152 board, Virtex2Pro xc2vp20 FPGA
2. Xilinx ISE 6.1.03i
3. Xilinx EDK 6.1.2
4. Windows XP on the host machine
5. Configuration with JTAG using the Parallel Cable IV

I have done all the sanity checks I could think of, and also looked
through whatever the web had to offer but that has not fixed my
problem. Does anyone have any ideas why I may be seeing this?

Thanks,
Mahim

PS: I have been asking for a lot of help lately. I am more-or-less a
complete newbie to hardware, and in a situation where I have to learn
a lot really fast :(

Article: 66894
Subject: Re: OT Re: Dual-stack (Forth) processors
From: Max <mtj2@btopenworld.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 03:38:13 +0000 (UTC)
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:53:43 -0500, rickman wrote:

>I don't want to continue an OT conversation posted to so many groups,

Nor did I, really, since I don't like cross-posting either, but I
don't know what groups the participants in this thread inhabit, so...

>but can you explain what that means?  Why does OE assume the above
>paragraph is a script attachment?  I don't see anything special about
>it.  Hmmm... is it the word
>begin  at the start of a line with two spaces after it?

Yep - got it in one.

OE will strip off the lines at the end of the post, and claim that
they constitute an attachment named
"to illustrate all of OE's misbehaviour, but this paragraph.dat"
- ROTFLMAO!

There's also a massive security hole there, though I don't think I'll
go into detail. It's only one such flaw amongst a multitude, however.

--
  Max

Article: 66895
From: Max <mtj2@btopenworld.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 04:28:47 +0000 (UTC)
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:29:36 +0000 (UTC), Max wrote:

>As an example, OE strips all trailing spaces on lines,
>so it cannot generate a standard-compliant sig seperator.

Apparently, that particular bug has been fixed in recent OE versions.
ISTR OE v6 did resolve quite a few of the sillier deficiencies, but
there's still enough left to make life interesting ;o)

--
  Max

Article: 66896
Subject: Re: difference btw H/W & S/W implementations !!
From: "Shiraz Kaleel" <shirazkh@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:07:33 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I am surprised nobody really answered to the point!

Software is when sequencing through the algorithm is done using INSTRUCTION
power

Hardware is when sequencing through the algorithm is done using LOGIC
power...!!!

"Thomas Stanka" <usenet_10@stanka-web.de> wrote in message
> Hello OP,
>
> hope you got an better name in your next life.
>
> omnipresent@hotmail.com (OP) wrote:
> > Feeling really intelligent today.. I would like to know some basic
> > stuff..
> >
> > What is the difference between a hardware implementation of an
> > algorithm and a software one.
>
> HW & SW are uncomparable in general because SW w/o HW makes no sence.
>
> In some context you speak of HW or SW solution when you mean the
> decission to use either
> - a general purpose CPU (eg. micro controller) and write the
> appropriate SW for this CPU
> or
> - build an ASIC (application specific IC, could of course be a fpga
> too) that solves your problem.
>
> In general is an ASIC faster and fits better in your special needs for
> reliability, power consumption and size, but tends to be more
> expensive (unless  huge quantities) and you have big trouble when you
> find a better algorithm for your problem.
>
> You would think twice before using an ASIC for data compression on the
> other hand it's impossible to do very high speed realtime data
> processing (eg. 10GB Switch) with a CPU.
>
> bye Thomas

Article: 66897
From: msm30@yahoo.com (William Wallace)
Date: 28 Feb 2004 23:12:11 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
He didn't say how many frequencies he was going to use, or what kind
of FPGA, or how many bits in the samples.  But even if he had 20
different frequencies, you could do all in a single FPGA and use a
provisioned register to select the input and output chip enable rates,
as well as the frequency dedendant filter gains (if any).

"Kelvin @ SG" <kelvin8157@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<c1ppdl$d3v$1@reader01.singnet.com.sg>...
> if you intend to implement the filter in an FPGA, it will be a pain to have
> so many derived clocks.
> if you do partial reconfiguration, the probability of P&R trouble can be
> very high...
>
> just my 2c...
>
> Kelvin
>

> "William Wallace" <msm30@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "Martin Euredjian" <0_0_0_0_@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > > Working on a polyphase decimator and interpolator.  I'm trying to use
>  the
> > > same chunk-o-logic to implement both functions.  In either case, it is
> > > easiest to drive the control logic from the fastest of the two clocks.
>  I'm
> > > trying to figure out the most elegant way to achieve this.  Any
>  thoughts,
> > > ideas, links?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > If you can work this out, it would be the easiest:
> >
> > Say you have a set of frequencies you want to handle:
> >
> > {f1, f2, f3, f4...fn}
> >
> > Clock your control logic at a frequency that can generate all of these
> > other frequencies.  E.g., for {2,3,5,6 whateverHz}, select your
> > control clock to be 30 whateverHz.  To clock data in or out of the
> > decimator/interpolators, use clock enables that are synchronous to the
> > data and the control clock but have a duration of 1 control clock.
> >
> > Slightly off topic, but if you're doing this fixed point, you might
> > have to adjust gains depending on input and output rate for consistent
> > scaling.

Article: 66898
From: "Shiraz Kaleel" <shirazkh@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:20:21 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I forgot to mention - "Instruction Power" assumes that you have a processor
executing the algorithm...
"Shiraz Kaleel" <shirazkh@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am surprised nobody really answered to the point!
>
> Software is when sequencing through the algorithm is done using
INSTRUCTION
> power
>
> Hardware is when sequencing through the algorithm is done using LOGIC
> power...!!!
>

> "Thomas Stanka" <usenet_10@stanka-web.de> wrote in message
> > Hello OP,
> >
> > hope you got an better name in your next life.
> >
> > omnipresent@hotmail.com (OP) wrote:
> > > Feeling really intelligent today.. I would like to know some basic
> > > stuff..
> > >
> > > What is the difference between a hardware implementation of an
> > > algorithm and a software one.
> >
> > HW & SW are uncomparable in general because SW w/o HW makes no sence.
> >
> > In some context you speak of HW or SW solution when you mean the
> > decission to use either
> > - a general purpose CPU (eg. micro controller) and write the
> > appropriate SW for this CPU
> > or
> > - build an ASIC (application specific IC, could of course be a fpga
> > too) that solves your problem.
> >
> > In general is an ASIC faster and fits better in your special needs for
> > reliability, power consumption and size, but tends to be more
> > expensive (unless  huge quantities) and you have big trouble when you
> > find a better algorithm for your problem.
> >
> > You would think twice before using an ASIC for data compression on the
> > other hand it's impossible to do very high speed realtime data
> > processing (eg. 10GB Switch) with a CPU.
> >
> > bye Thomas

Article: 66899
Subject: [solved] Pbl uploading code on a Spartan II board
From: "Fargo" <fargoNOfr2002SPAM@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 09:25:32 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
hi,
Never mind the question, i found the problem :
my cable from the dongle to the board was too long (about 1 metre) i've make
it shorter and everything was fine.
I post this solution to help if someone has the same pbl :
> The pbl is when I try to retreive the boundary scan chain, Impact find a
> bunch of 28 non xilinx devices.
> In fact there is only the xc2s100 and a parallel prom on the board....

As I'm beginning with xilinx targets I may ask some other questions... be
ready :)
bye
Damien