Subject: Re: Virtex 2 P -> PPC write to block RAM
From: "Terrence Mak" <stmak@se.cuhk.edu.hk>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:56:04 +0800

I am using the GPIO as interface between the ppc and fpga. Then I try to
design a prototype for
read/write the BRAM in FPGA from ppc.

I am not sure if the ppc and FPGA can share a BRAM. Look forward to any
other idea.

Terrence

"Matthew E Rosenthal" <mer2@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have been creating a design extensively in hardware and I would like to
> be able to have a powerPC write to block RAMs that are in my HW design.
> Can someone point me in the right direction.
>
> What sort of bus do i need to create?
>
> Any pointers would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt

Article: 67451
Subject: Re: 300MHz spartan3 cpu update , and Webpack6.2 shocker
From: nweaver@ribbit.CS.Berkeley.EDU (Nicholas C. Weaver)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 04:21:40 +0000 (UTC)
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <adb3971c.0403111708.15fabb59@posting.google.com>,
john jakson <johnjakson@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Absolutely true. Without it, having to deal with all the hazards would
>wreck the performance and up the design effort enormously. A previous
>design was single threaded and had the forwarding logic, but had too
>many other complexities to deal with in FPGA to be fast or
>completable.

Although careful design can get the forwarding path very short.  EG,
the Nios described in FPGA 2004 has a 2 LUT level for the entire ALU,
including forwarding path, by clever use of features.