Subject: Simple counter
From: clehobey@orange.fr (cedric)
Date: 17 Feb 2005 07:16:48 -0800

I 'm trying to count the number of '1' in a std_logic_vector of 64 bits.
In fact, I want ot know if there are more '1' or '0'.

I want to use 10 slices(MAX).
So I write the following line

SUM = IN(0)+IN(1)+..+IN(63);

These is a error with the compilatot, so I try :

SUM = '0'&IN(0) + '0'&IN(1) + .. + '0'&IN(63);

no error with the compilator, but result(SUM) is false.

thank for your help

Cedric

Article: 79326
try with SUM = '00000'&IN(0) + '000000''&IN(1) + .. + '000000''&IN(63);
because the max value will be 64 so it needs a result on 7 bits.
or try to declare sum as an integer ranged betwen 0 and 64 and convert
element of IN signal in integer

alexis

"cedric" <clehobey@orange.fr> a écrit dans le message de news:
9d5f771f.0502170716.de7402f@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> I 'm trying to count the number of '1' in a std_logic_vector of 64 bits.
> In fact, I want ot know if there are more '1' or '0'.
>
> I want to use 10 slices(MAX).
> So I write the following line
>
> SUM = IN(0)+IN(1)+..+IN(63);
>
> These is a error with the compilatot, so I try :
>
> SUM = '0'&IN(0) + '0'&IN(1) + .. + '0'&IN(63);
>
> no error with the compilator, but result(SUM) is false.
>
> thank for your help
>
> Cedric

Article: 79327