Subject: Re: Power Optimization: can the routing and placement really save power?
From: "Peter Alfke" <alfke@sbcglobal.net>
Date: 30 Dec 2005 14:43:04 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Why all this commotion?
It does not take a genius to interpret the graph:

Dynamic power is very similar for the two competing devices, although
Xilinx has still an edge, even after the Altera improvements.
The dramatic (>2:1) difference is in static power consumption, which of
course is ugliest at 85 degrees. Here Xilinx benefits from its use of
three different gate oxide thicknesses (Altera uses only two).
And, to camouflage their weakness, Altera conveniently published those
meaningless 25 degree total power numbers.
That's what I mean by Marketing BS, for most devices in the Virtex-4 or
Stratix-II class are operated at high clock rates, which makes them run
hot, close to and sometimes even above 85 degrees. To brag about
allegedly low power at 25 degrees misses the point, is Marketing BS.
Peter Alfke, from home.
Happy New Year. whichever FPGA you prefer.

Article: 93801