Subject: Re: VGA and framebuffer interface (Waste of BlockRAM)
From: "John_H" <johnhandwork@mail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:06:01 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"Isaac Bosompem" <x86asm@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1139186254.703000.140870@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi everyone, I have recently purchased a XC3S200 based board with 256KB
> Flash, 256KB platform flash and 32KB SRAM. So out of my interests I
> figured I would design a simple SoC as a learning excercise. I have
> designed a VGA framebuffer which does 640x480 (but uses pixel doubling
> so 320x240x2-bit). A complete framebuffer is ~19KB.
>
> At this point I decided I would have to read the framebuffer at a line
> at a time. A scanline in this mode would need 80 bytes of memory.
>
> Naturally I decided to infer a block RAM with 8-bit data width (well
> 9-bit, but I am not using parity).
>
> The problem though is that when the Block RAM is 8-bits, you get almost
> 2KB of space!! So that means I am wasting more than 90% of the space!!

If your frame buffer is in the off-chip SRAM and you want the BlockRAM as
the line buffer, don't look at the BlockRAM as wasting 90% of the space.
Most people don't end up using all their BlockRAM making this an ideal use.
If you implement the buffer in logic to avoid wasting the BlockRAM, you end
up wasting 100% of the BlockRAM by not using it rather than the 90% you were
concerned about.  If you're trying to use the BlockRAMs for other
functionality and are concerned about running out of memory *but* you have
plenty of logic resources then the 40-45 LUTs (for 8-9 bits at 80 byte
depth) is a good tradeoff.

> I was looking into using a  8  128x1 distributed RAM and wire them in a
> way to extend the data word to 8-bits. I am not certain how much of my
> logic resources this would eat up.
>
> I am fairly new to the FPGA's so I'm not certain if these are the best
> methods to buffer such a small amount of memory.
> What would you do if you were in my situation?
>
> Regards
> -Isaac

Another consideration: if the BlockRAM is used as a single port (you use one
address to write during the blanking and that same address to read when it's
active) you have a second single-port memory in that same BlockRAM to access
the remainder of that 2kByte memory.  To share resources like this usually
requires that you instatiate the BlockRAM primitive rather than inferring
the memory.

Another suggestion since you're concerned about reading the data during the
blanking period: are you pushing the SRAM near its maximum clock rate?
(Probably not if you're doing pixel doubling.)  If you increase the clock
speed with the DCM, you can increase the data throughput into and out of the
external SRAM.  The BlockRAM can take in data at the SRAM's maximum rate
with ease (as will the SRLs).  Using a DCM (Digital Clock Manager, I
believe) requires a little more care in your design with the suggestion that
you use the 1X clock output from the DCM to "phase match" the higher speed
clock to the 1X clock rather than using the input clock that feeds the DCM.

Article: 96551