Subject: Re: for all those who believe in ASICs....
From: Jim Granville <no.spam@designtools.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 07:25:37 +1300
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
fpga_toys@yahoo.com wrote:
> Phil Hays wrote:
>
>>Of course, this was an extreme example, and this was decades ago.  I'm
>>sure the business has changed.  Still, I'm not convinced that test
>>costs are quite as low as you assume.
>

>>From the 2005 annual report 36.6% of revenues are cost of sales, of
> about $576M. There are a few direct costs listed in that same report
> which probably are just under half of that which are fixed costs for
> buildings, IP, and other payments, dropping the remaining direct costs
> per dollar under $0.25. Not included are labor costs, or direct wafer
> cost payments, etc to be taken out of that 25 cents. I strongly suspect
> from that, testing isn't as much as a penny or two.
>
> So, we know from the gross margins of the annual report, that testing
> isn't 50% or even 25% as you may have experienced in the past. I
> suspect the big changes over the last couple decades are investments
> like BIST style testing to facilitate screening without expensive
> testers driving full test coverage as we saw in the 1980's.
>
> Two years ago, the marketing spin was "The Virtex-II EasyPath solution
> offers a 25% to 80% cost reduction with production quantity deliveries
> (thousands of units) in as little as 8-10 weeks". That level of
> discount based on test costs alone doesn't play with the numbers
> reported by the annual report. Most of that discount has to be single
> piece to volume discounts, or other incentives - not testing costs.

I think everyone understands that
a) test costs are real, and significant
but
b) they are not 100% of the discounts offered in Easypath.

The rest is 'amortisation allocation' and simple marketing politics.
What exact proportion ? - does it matter ?

However, you will never get a marketing spin merchant to admit that;
they NEED something to pitch, so that ALL users do not ask for
discounts :)