Subject: Re: Low cost ISA board
From: wware@world.std.com (Will Ware)
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 17:41:16 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Michael J. Wirthlin (wirthlim@fpga.ee.byu.edu) wrote:
: This newsgroup has already
: discussed the reasons why FPGA/PLD vendors do not make the
: back-end programming information available.

I missed this discussion. Is there an archive somewhere, or could somebody
summarize it via email? (wware@world.std.com) Thanks.

: Perhaps some of the hardware vendors will be willing to
: sell the back end tools at a significantly reduced price (i.e. sell the
: bitstream generation program at a nominal cost) in order to maintain
: control of the proprietary information, yet allow hobbiests to use the
: tools.

If they did so (or published enough info to write freeware back-end tools),
wouldn't they gain a lot in hardware sales? Would this be offset by their
loss in software sales? Would it hurt them by facilitating their
competitors' efforts to reverse-engineer their parts?
Will Ware <wware@world.std.com> web - http://world.std.com/~wware/
PGP fingerprint   45A8 722C D149 10CC   F0CF 48FB 93BF 7289

Article: 1451