Subject: Re: Altera Max+Plus
From: Krishna Mohan <mohan@mail.aztech.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 15:59:27 +0800
If you get any useful hints please forward them to us. We have a similar
problem on Windows 95 platform.
Thanks
Krishna Mohan
Aztech Systems Limited
Singapore

Eric Holmberg wrote:

> Is anybody out there using the LP6-MPU programmer under NT 4.0 (or any verision for that matter).  I
> installed the card and have tried all 16 :~(  IO Addresses to no avail.  The configuration menu
> refuses to accept my hardware...  HELP!!!
>
> A direct email of *anything* would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric    <ohms@vt.edu>
Article: 4751
Subject: Re: GAL STARTER KIT
From: peter@nowhere.com
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 08:04:07 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Unlike EPROMs, very few GALs share the same algorithms and programming
voltages.

On top of that, the AMD device has 64 fewer bits in it than a normal
16V8, because it lacks the user electronic signature, so your
programmer may be rejecting it simply because of the block size
mismatch.

But I suspect it goes deeper. GAL programmers are supposed to get the
device electronic signature and only program those devices which they
**explicitly** support. Often, this is not the case, and you can get
nearly-blown devices. However, with a decent programmer you will find
it correctly rejecting e.g. a particular 16V8-10 when it does the same
make's 16V8-15 - because the algorithm and/or the voltages are
different.

And you can never find out the details because the algorithms are
secret and are disclosed to you only after an NDA and a lot of hassle,
pretending to be a PLD programmer mfg. This makes it easy for PLD
programmer vendors to wash their hands of algorithm bugs simply by
claiming the algorithm has been changed since you bought it! I have
had a lot of this.

>I have been programming SGS GALS 16V8 for a long time using my old GAL
>STARTER KIT. Now I need programming a PALCE16V8 from AMD but it refuses.
>Does anybody know why?
>Many thanx.
>Francesco Iovine
>fj@iol.it