Subject: Re: New free FPGA CPU
From: msimon@tefbbs.com
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 15:04:15 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
The advantage the FPGA gives you is the ability to get EXACTLY the
processor you want to solve a given problem.

Say you don't need as many registers as a standard design but a 32bit
Real Time Clock counter would be handy. No problemo.

In a design as done today you got to add the counters externally if
the on chip ones don't meet your needs plus some glue logic.

I was recently faced with this problem with a 68332. I would have
loved to trade some of the TPU logic for a 32 bit atomic counter
(latches all 32 bits at once for readout. With the counter clock gated
so I could start a number of them simultaneously). Instead I had to do
an expensive (in CPU time) interrupt driven counter (10,000 interrupts
a second).

We met spec but there is no design margin. OTOH the system is designed
to fail gracefully.

Simon
tgg@hpl.hp.com () wrote:

>How does it compare with the MicroChip PIC devices. My personal suspicion is
>that the PIC devices are smaller (probably), cheaper (certainly), faster
>(probably), more peripherals such as timers/adc/dac/etc (certainly),
>more software support (certainly).
>
>Any corrections to the above suspicions would be welcome.

Design Your Own MicroProcessor(tm) http://www.tefbbs.com/spacetime/index.htm
Article: 12876