Subject: Re: Design security
From: Ray Andraka <randraka@ids.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:54:21 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
WHAT?????

If you've got something that is erasing an external e(e)prom, you've got
pretty big problems with the rest of your system.  Altera OTP FPGAs use
EPROM cells internally to hold their program that are not much different
than the EPROM cell in the configuration prom for SRAM based FPGAs.  SRAM
based FPGAs can also be loaded from other sources than a PROM, especially if
you have a microcontroller/computer connected to them.

 As far as erasing the loaded configuration goes, the configuration
flip-flops in a so-called SRAM FPGA are more robust than those you find in
the fabric or those you will find in other chips in your design.  You'll
have rampant bit failures in the design  long before you start having
failures in the configuration.  The reason?  The configuration flip flops
are designed for retention of the information, not for speed.  Flip-flops in
your design are designed for speed and so become less resistant to upset.

http://users.ids.net/~randraka

Article: 19826