Subject: Re: US-IL-In desperate need of FPGA engineer
From: Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 22:49:04 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Good luck!  Good FPGA designers for permanent positions seem to be scarcer than
hen's teeth right now.

--
P.S.  Please note the new email address and website url

http://www.andraka.com  or http://www.fpga-guru.com

Article: 22751
Subject: Re: Xilinx tools
From: "Andy Peters" <apeters.Nospam@nospam.noao.edu.nospam>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 17:28:43 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Rickman wrote in message <3929635C.6FAFE01C@yahoo.com>...
>I was just looking at the Xilinx web site to get info on their current
>tools and I now see that they no longer sell the tools. Rather Xilinx
>rents the tools to you for 1 year at a time. At the end of the year you
>can no longer use the tool for new designs.
>
>I have heard of some of the ASIC tool vendors doing this as a means to
>enhance their revenue. They are constantly trying to adjust their
>business model to maximize revenue since this is what they make money
>on.
>
>So now it looks like Xilinx is not happy with customers buying a given
>version of the tools and using that one version for new designs as long
>as they are happy with the known bugs in it. After a year, the tools
>will no longer let you start any new designs unless you pay the licence
>fee again.
>
>I don't get it. Xilinx keeps telling us that they want to make money
>from their chips and not the software. But this sure looks to me like
>they are trying to maximize the revenue from the tool sets.
>
>What do others think about this?

I had to root around their website to find this little detail, since it's
not in any of the materials that Xilinx sent along with the initial release
of 2.1i.

quoting the blurb on the web page (that I can't link to because they use
Intershop's storefront cgi crap) (question: am I violating a copyright here,
much like the slashdot guys did by posting microsoft stuff?):

 Introducing Time-Based Licensing

 As of version 2.1i, Xilinx time-based licensing is in effect for all Xilinx
sold software solutions. This
 includes all configurations of the Xilinx Alliance Series, Xilinx
Foundation Series and ModelSim
 Xilinx Edition (XE) software products.

 A Time-Based License is a 1-year license to use the software for building
new designs. At the end
 of the 1-year license, the user can purchase a 1-year “extension”. The
1-year extension is offered
 at the same price as the initial 1-year license. If the user of the
software does not purchase the
 extension, he can still use the then-current version of the software to:

     Finish any designs that were started while the 1-year license was in
effect
     Fix any bugs in designs that were started while the 1-year license was
in effect

 However, the time-based license does not allow a user to start a new design
after the initial 1-year
 license has expired.

OK, let's think about this.  First and foremost,

"The 1-year extension is offered at the same price as the initial 1-year
license."

That means that we actually ARE buying a new copy of the software every
year, rather than paying a "maintenance" fee (of what, 50%?).

Funny.  I think we were sent a bill for maintenance.  It didn't say that we
were buying an "extension."

"Finish any designs that were started while the 1-year license was in effect
 Fix any bugs in designs that were started while the 1-year license was in
effect"

So, who's to know if, in fact, I start a new design after the first year?
What if I write three dozen top-level bits of VHDL this month that (vaguely)
describe the pin-outs of three dozen chips?  Have I "started" those designs,
even though there's no way I could do three dozen designs in a year?  So, if
it takes me three dozen years to do these three dozen designs, I don't have
to pay for the software for the next thirty-six years?

Less glibly, what counts as a "design"?  My current project has three FPGAs
on it.  does that count as one design, or three?  What happens when the
parts I've chosen (xilinx or otherwise) get obsoleted and the board has to
be revved in a year and a half?  Is the design considered done, or is this
rework that counts as the first design?

"However, the time-based license does not allow a user to start a new design
after the initial 1-year license has expired."

What mechanism prevents me from starting a new design after the first year?

What happens when the machine I'm designing on gets upgraded/replaced with
something else?

Who comes up with these licensing schemes, anyways?

-- a
Andy Peters
Sr Electrical Engineer
National Optical Astronomy Observatories
950 N Cherry Ave
Tucson, AZ 85719
apeters (at) noao \dot\ edu

"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
     --Arthur C. Clarke

Article: 22752