Subject: Multiply by 8 with DLL in Spaertan-II.
From: "XU QIJUN" <qijun677@oki.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:38:18 +0800

I am using a Spartan-II 100K to do some experiments on clock multiplication.
I successfully made a X2 and X4, then problem occurs when I coded one extra
DLL to make it 8. Following is the bug,
Whats your comments?

ERROR:Place:1726 - Could not find an automatic placement for the following
   components:
    CLKIN of type GCLK IOB is placed at P77.
    dll2x of type DLL is unplaced.
    clk2xg of type GCLK BUFFER is unplaced.
    dll4x of type DLL is unplaced.
    clk4xg of type GCLK BUFFER is unplaced.
    dll8x of type DLL is unplaced.
    clk8xg of type GCLK BUFFER is unplaced.
    lckpad of type GCLK BUFFER is unplaced.
ERROR:Place:1727 - Xilinx requires using locate constraints to preplace such
   connected GCLK/GCLKIO/DLL components.
Total REAL time to Placer completion: 2 secs
Total CPU time to Placer completion: 1 secs

Following are the codes:

module dll_standard (CLKIN, CLK2X, CLK4X, CLK8X, LOCKED);
input CLKIN;
output CLK2X, CLK4X, CLK8X, LOCKED;

wire RESET;
wire CLKIN_w, RESET_w, CLK2X_dll, CLK4X_dll, LOCKED2X, LOCKED4X;
wire LOCKED2X_delay, RESET4X;
wire LOCKED4X_delay, RESET8X;
wire logic1;
assign RESET = 1'b0;

assign logic1 = 1'b1;

assign CLKIN_w = CLKIN;
assign RESET = RESET_w;

CLKDLL dll2x (.CLKIN(CLKIN_w), .CLKFB(CLK2X), .RST(RESET_w),
              .CLK0(), .CLK90(), .CLK180(), .CLK270(),
              .CLK2X(CLK2X_dll), .CLKDV(), .LOCKED(LOCKED2X));
BUFG   clk2xg (.I(CLK2X_dll),  .O(CLK2X));
SRL16  rstsrl (.D(LOCKED2X), .CLK(CLK2X), .Q(LOCKED2X_delay),
               .A3(logic1), .A2(logic1), .A1(logic1), .A0(logic1));
assign RESET4X = !LOCKED2X_delay;

CLKDLL dll4x (.CLKIN(CLK2X), .CLKFB(CLK4X), .RST(RESET4X),
              .CLK0(), .CLK90(), .CLK180(), .CLK270(),
              .CLK2X(CLK4X_dll), .CLKDV(), .LOCKED(LOCKED4X));
BUFG   clk4xg (.I(CLK4X_dll),  .O(CLK4X));
SRL16  rstsr2 (.D(LOCKED4X), .CLK(CLK4X), .Q(LOCKED4X_delay),
               .A3(logic1), .A2(logic1), .A1(logic1), .A0(logic1));
assign RESET8X = !LOCKED4X_delay;
// assign CLK4X_B = ~ CLK4X;

CLKDLL dll8x (.CLKIN(CLK4X), .CLKFB(CLK8X), .RST(RESET8X),
              .CLK0(), .CLK90(), .CLK180(), .CLK270(),
              .CLK2X(CLK8X_dll), .CLKDV(), .LOCKED(LOCKED_dll));
BUFG   clk8xg (.I(CLK8X_dll),  .O(CLK8X));

BUFG   lckpad (.I(LOCKED_dll), .O(LOCKED));

endmodule

Article: 44476
anyone have ballpark info on how long it takes to design, develop, debug  a 2
million gate design.  complexity and throughput both high.

Article: 44477
Forgot to mention, my CLKIN = 16.0 MHz. CLK8X will yield 128 MHz.

Article: 44478