Subject: Re: Xilinx/Simprims & Modelsim
From: "Benjamin Todd" <Benjamin.Todd@cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:37:40 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
it looks like you have made a gate level model of your testbench!!!
try and do a manual compile for simulation!

heres a quick run through of how I do it (may not be the best method mind)
1. Run generate post-timing model of your uut
2. when its done, open model sim (i.e. from Start menu not from project
navigator)
3. change your work directory to the right one
4. compile your component (timing)
5. compile the testbench
6. compile any other stuff you need (timing or not)
7. attach the timing model file SDF to the uut
8. load testbench
9. run simulation

et voila!!

HTH
--
Benjamin Todd
European Organisation for Particle Physics

"Anthony Ellis" <anthony@ams.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi guysm
>
> Any idea why I get the error at the last line?
> Behavioral simulation & XST mapping, routing etc. all execute/complete
> correctly but now I am trying to functionally simulate the gate-level.
> Note this error also appears when one merely tries to simulate the
> "simprim.x_tri_v".
>
> Thanks Anthony

C:/DesignTools/Xilinx_Simulation_Libraries/simprim.vpackage(body)
> C:/DesignTools/Xilinx_Simulation_Libraries/simprim.x_zero(x_zero_v)
> C:/DesignTools/Xilinx_Simulation_Libraries/simprim.x_lut4(x_lut4_v)
> C:/DesignTools/Xilinx_Simulation_Libraries/simprim.x_lut3(x_lut3_v)
> C:/DesignTools/Xilinx_Simulation_Libraries/simprim.x_lut2(x_lut2_v)
> C:/DesignTools/Xilinx_Simulation_Libraries/simprim.x_mux2(x_mux2_v)
C:/DesignTools/Xilinx_Simulation_Libraries/simprim.x_sff(x_sff_v)
C:/DesignTools/Xilinx_Simulation_Libraries/simprim.x_inv(x_inv_v)
C:/DesignTools/Xilinx_Simulation_Libraries/simprim.x_one(x_one_v)
C:/DesignTools/Xilinx_Simulation_Libraries/simprim.x_buf(x_buf_v)
C:/DesignTools/Xilinx_Simulation_Libraries/simprim.x_tri(x_tri_v)
> # ** Fatal: (vsim-3420) Array sizes do not match. Left is 8. Right is
> 4231879.
> #    Time: 0 ns  Iteration: 0  Region:
> /top_level_tb/m_top_level/c_trdy_n_obuft

Article: 44451
Subject: Re: ISE Webpack Basics
From: ted_jmt@zapta.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 07:49:50 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Any mailing list or news group interface to the Xilinx forums. It is
kind of pain to use the web interface on a daily basis.

Thanks,

Tal

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:57:15 -0800, Patrick <> wrote:

>answered in the Xilinx General Forum...
>
>Patrick

Article: 44452
Subject: Re: 5V tolerance
From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@dark99room.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:29:07 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

"Austin Lesea" <austin.lesea@xilinx.com> wrote in message

> Also, Virtex is 5V tolerant without any resistor at all (ie 5V PCI
interface IO
> standard).  It is only in Virtex E and later parts where the resistor is
going to
> be (possibly) required.

Hi Austin,

I believe he said he wanted to use a Spartan II.  Does the same still apply?

P.S.  The 3.3V EDO DRAMs seem to work fine with the 5V Spartan part...I have
18 boards that has been used quite heavily, two for a few weeks now, 24
hours a day, and we've seen not a wit of a problem.  Thanks again for your
support there!

Article: 44453
Subject: Re: WebPack - How to view synthesis results?
From: rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:46:48 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
How about Base-X?  Does that provide a schematic viewer?

Subject: Re: what's the use of BlockRAM
From: rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:57:26 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Sounds to me like you understand what you want to do with the block
rams.  As long as you understand that they are synchronous rams and need
a clock, you should be in good shape.  You will need a clock that is
faster than your read or write strobes by at least 2x.  You will then
have to design some logic to detect the write strobe and address and
generate a synchronous write enable for the block ram.  The read strobe
should work to enable the tristate buffers and/or output multiplexer.

But you will have to design this interface yourself.  The block rams are
designed to support logic design, not as a direct interface to your
CPU.  Think about it.  If the block rams had a tristate output, they are
inside the chip!  Tristate outputs have little use inside the FPGA.  Add
a mux with the select input from one of the address lines and be done
with it!  You need to stop thinking that the internal logic of an FPGA
is designed with direct interfacing to a CPU in mind.  It is not, it is
designed to be as flexible as possible so that you can interface the
internal logic to whatever you want!  So put on your logic engineer's
hat and do some designing!

Subject: Re: Xilinx Bel - how do I find the Bel nane?
From: "Falk Brunner" <Falk.Brunner@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:57:30 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"Dan Kuechle" <danielgk@voomtech.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> So, knowing the net name, and being able to find the CLB in FPGA Editor,
how
> do I find the bel name?  (once I know the bel name I can find the CLB by
> searching
> for a bel in FPGA Express, but that doesn't help much)

If the signal is directly comming from a FlipFlop, it will keep the name
from the VHDL code.
Have a look at the floorplanner after mapping, there you will find all your
FlipFlops and LUTs.

--
MfG

Subject: Re: How to get Unisims netlist?
From: newman5382@aol.com (newman)
Date: 20 Jun 2002 09:52:33 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Anthony,
  Good questions.  I have not thought too deeply about Unisim, but my
general belief is that they are there to allow instantiation of
functionality into your VHDL/ Verilog/ Schematic design, and provide
functional simulation capabilities.  After synthesis, one uses the
Simprim libraries, and I have never questioned that approach.  I
suspect that this library is required in order to back-annotate timing
delays from the Standard Delay Format (SDF) file for timing simulation
purposes.

  Getting the X's out of a synthesized design may frusterate the new
user, and sometimes the veteran user as well.  One needs to be
cognisant of the timing constraints placed on the design by the UCF
file.  When one does functional simulations, one is almost dealing
with an ideally fast part.  After place and route, there are real
world timing delays, and the design may not work at 200 Mhz any more.
   Other issues to consider are:
   Are your memory storage elements getting initialized at the start
of your simulation?
   Is the setup and hold time of your testbench compliant with the UCF
file?
   Is your simulator default resolution set correctly?
   Are the Xilinx tools optimizing away portions of your design
because of coding errors?

   One thing you could try would be to put in a divide by two test
circuit, and see if you can make that simulate after synthesis, and
gradually debug the circuits that are giving you problems.

Hope this helps,

Newman

Article: 44457
Subject: How to generate a valid EDIF netlist?
From: "Falk Brunner" <Falk.Brunner@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:14:22 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Hello everyone,

I have a design which consists of two big parts, one is developed by me, the
other by a colleague.
For testing I would like to keep this two modules seperate, so that I create
a EDIF netlist without IO port from both modules and instanciaze them in a
toplevel. So we save time in the compilation. After this I would like to run
a normal design flow (Translate-> Map P&R) to get the final design.
How can I generate such EDIF files. I tried to use the tools supplied by
Xilinx (ngd2 edif) but when translating the final design, I get tons of
warnings (like ".... INIT is not allows on x_LUT3...") and errors,
complaining about x_BRAM4_S1_s1 . . .is not supported".
Any advice will be very appreciated.

--
MfG

From: Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:20:03 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
SpartanII and Virtex have 5v tolerant 3.3v I/O.

From: Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:26:03 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
YOu can get a mapped synthesis output from the synthesizer which is
constructed of unisim library elements.  In Synplify you turn on mapped
output and it produces a .vhm (mapped VHDL or .vm mapped verilog output)
which is a unisim primitive only realization of your design.  This can be
useful to check the results of synthesis before going into the XIlinx
tools, and it runs a bunch faster than the simprim xilinx output files.

Subject: Re: How to generate a valid EDIF netlist?
From: John_H <johnhandwork@mail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:01:54 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Tell us what your synthesizer is.

If you were using Synplify, it would be a matter of 1) specifying the output as
EDIF, 2) compiling without I/O Insertion for the lower level module(s), and 3)
specifying the lower level modules as "black boxes" for use by the higher level
module.  I think I've got all the points here.

Someone else can probably help with your tool.

Falk Brunner wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a design which consists of two big parts, one is developed by me, the
> other by a colleague.
> For testing I would like to keep this two modules seperate, so that I create
> a EDIF netlist without IO port from both modules and instanciaze them in a
> toplevel. So we save time in the compilation. After this I would like to run
> a normal design flow (Translate-> Map P&R) to get the final design.
> How can I generate such EDIF files. I tried to use the tools supplied by
> Xilinx (ngd2 edif) but when translating the final design, I get tons of
> warnings (like ".... INIT is not allows on x_LUT3...") and errors,
> complaining about x_BRAM4_S1_s1 . . .is not supported".
> Any advice will be very appreciated.
>
> --
> MfG
> Falk

Article: 44461
Subject: Re: 12 years experience in Digital HW/ FPGA design, looking for job in the US
From: "jakab tanko" <jtanko@ics-ltd.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:05:04 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Relax, Hater, if you are as qualified as this guy is
you will get the job.....

jakab

Spam Hater <spam_hater_7@email.com> wrote in message

> Notice to potential employers:
>
> You will be displacing a US citizen who is qualified, and willing to
> work for that salary.
>
> Make sure that you put a statement to that effect on the H1-B transfer
> application.
>
> Nothing personal Farhad.  I have a family to feed.
>

> On 17 Jun 2002 21:18:46 -0700, farhad@everdream.com (Farhad Abdolian)
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I am currntly on H1-B visa, and since my current employer has decided
> >to close our office, I am looking for a new job, and a company to take
> >over my H1-B visa while my green card application goes through (my
> >wife is American).

Article: 44462
From: "Falk Brunner" <Falk.Brunner@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:21:06 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"John_H" <johnhandwork@mail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Tell us what your synthesizer is.

Iam using ISE 4.2 with XST.

--
MfG

From: "Dan Kuechle" <danielgk@voomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:37:21 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
All ATA signals have at least 44 ohms of series termination between driver
and load, with the majority of the signals having 66 ohms or more.
Furthermore,
the ATA spec says the output drivers should be 4 ma.  Since the 5v tolerant
issue
is really a current issue, 5v --> 3.3v thru 100 ohm ==> Xilinx has a problem
when
the current exceeds 17 ma, which a 4 ma driver should not be able to do.

Dan

"Bevan Weiss" <kaizen__@hotmail.NOSPAMcom> wrote in message
> None of the ATA specs that I can find (ATA6 or ATA4) even specify the
> maximum input or output voltage except to say that the minimum is still
TTL

From: "Theron Hicks" <hicksthe@egr.msu.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:55:13 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

> SpartanII and Virtex have 5v tolerant 3.3v I/O.
So does SpartanXL

> Austin Franklin wrote:
>
> > "Austin Lesea" <austin.lesea@xilinx.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > Also, Virtex is 5V tolerant without any resistor at all (ie 5V PCI
> > interface IO
> > > standard).  It is only in Virtex E and later parts where the resistor
is
> > going to
> > > be (possibly) required.
> >
> > Hi Austin,
> >
> > I believe he said he wanted to use a Spartan II.  Does the same still
apply?

> > Regards,
> >
> > Austin
> >
> > P.S.  The 3.3V EDO DRAMs seem to work fine with the 5V Spartan part...I
have
> > 18 boards that has been used quite heavily, two for a few weeks now, 24
> > hours a day, and we've seen not a wit of a problem.  Thanks again for
your
> > support there!
>
> --
> --Ray Andraka, P.E.
> 401/884-7930     Fax 401/884-7950
> email ray@andraka.com
> http://www.andraka.com
>
>  "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
>   temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
>                                           -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Article: 44465
Subject: Re: barrel shifter
From: Jacky Renaux <renaux.jacky@wanadoo.fr>
Date: 20 Jun 2002 20:22:09 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Thanks Ray

Thats an option which I will look into details.
pipelining force to anticipate ahead the needed
shift ( the module is an huffman coder ) this
means which the shifter must move the datas
as it will be necessary once reaching the targets
registers ...

multiplier seems very attrative but it is a shifter only  ,
barrel shifter function will requires additionnal logic

at the end logic seems the best way and I will carrefully
look at your solution, again thanks for your attention

have a nice day

--
Use our news server 'news.foorum.com' from anywhere.
More details at: http://nnrpinfo.go.foorum.com/

Article: 44466
From: "Falk Brunner" <Falk.Brunner@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:01:46 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"Kevin Brace" <ihatespam99kevinbraceusenet@ihatespam99hotmail.com> schrieb
im Newsbeitrag news:aetdst$qgr$1@newsreader.mailgate.org...
> Falk,
>
> I will assume that you have three modules, two modules that won't have
> any I/O pads and one top module with I/O pads that instantiates those
> two I/O padless modules.
[ Explaination snipped ]

This is exactly what I tried, but it wont work, since the two modules
contain also instanciated stuff (edn netlists). So XST treats them as black
boxes and pushes the work to include the edn files to the design down to the
translate level. So my idea was to create a edn netlist AFTER mapping. Is
this possible?

--
MfG

From: Kevin Brace <ihatespam99kevinbraceusenet@ihatespam99hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:30:53 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Falk Brunner wrote:

> This is exactly what I tried, but it wont work, since the two modules
> contain also instanciated stuff (edn netlists). So XST treats them as black
> boxes and pushes the work to include the edn files to the design down to the
> translate level.

Falk, are you saying that you got more modules than the two modules in
question, and at least one of those modules also instantiate another
blackbox?
Does your design hierarchy look something like this?

                  Module A
               /           \
           Module B(BB)  Module C(BB)

           Module D(BB)

        I have never tried this, but if you want Module B to retreat
Module D as a blackbox, you will have to declare another blackbox in
Module B when it is synthesized.
During NGDBUILD, you will also have to point to Module D's netlist
because when Module B is read by NGDBUILD, it will demand a netlist for
Module D.

> So my idea was to create a edn netlist AFTER mapping. Is
> this possible?
>
> --
> MfG
> Falk

        Not sure.
It is probably better or maybe the only way to resolve the issue at
NGDBUILD level.

Kevin Brace (In general, don't respond to me directly, and respond
within the newsgroup.)

Article: 44468
From: Rick Filipkiewicz <rick@algor.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:57:50 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Dan Kuechle wrote:

> All ATA signals have at least 44 ohms of series termination between driver
> and load, with the majority of the signals having 66 ohms or more.
> Furthermore,
> the ATA spec says the output drivers should be 4 ma.  Since the 5v tolerant
> issue
> is really a current issue, 5v --> 3.3v thru 100 ohm ==> Xilinx has a problem
> when
> the current exceeds 17 ma, which a 4 ma driver should not be able to do.
>
> Dan

Dan,

You forgot that the "tolerance" issue with Virtex-E is current through the clamp
diode so for an 0.7V diode drop 100R => problem when current exceeds 10mA
(Austing Lesea will correct me if I'm wrong here, say if the diode is a Schottky
with drop less than 0.7).

Also: Is the 4mA ATA spec. a minimum ? The problem being that some el-cheapo IDE
drive might play all sorts of fast and loose games with the ATA spec so at least
a QuickSwitch type part might be a safety investment. I've always had a basic
rule that no external connector is wired direct into an expensive and hard to
replace FPGA ... had too many boards returned where someone thought a 9-pin
D-Type was where the mains plugged in :-).

Article: 44469
From: Austin Lesea <austin.lesea@xilinx.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:26:42 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Rick,

Absolutely correct.

If this is a long cable to/from hell, then a "sacrificial part" is a good
investment.

Austin

Rick Filipkiewicz wrote:

> Dan Kuechle wrote:
>
> > All ATA signals have at least 44 ohms of series termination between driver
> > and load, with the majority of the signals having 66 ohms or more.
> > Furthermore,
> > the ATA spec says the output drivers should be 4 ma.  Since the 5v tolerant
> > issue
> > is really a current issue, 5v --> 3.3v thru 100 ohm ==> Xilinx has a problem
> > when
> > the current exceeds 17 ma, which a 4 ma driver should not be able to do.
> >
> > Dan
> >

> Dan,
>
> You forgot that the "tolerance" issue with Virtex-E is current through the clamp
> diode so for an 0.7V diode drop 100R => problem when current exceeds 10mA
> (Austing Lesea will correct me if I'm wrong here, say if the diode is a Schottky
> with drop less than 0.7).
>
> Also: Is the 4mA ATA spec. a minimum ? The problem being that some el-cheapo IDE
> drive might play all sorts of fast and loose games with the ATA spec so at least
> a QuickSwitch type part might be a safety investment. I've always had a basic
> rule that no external connector is wired direct into an expensive and hard to
> replace FPGA ... had too many boards returned where someone thought a 9-pin
> D-Type was where the mains plugged in :-).

Article: 44470
From: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:33:22 -0600
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Rick Filipkiewicz wrote:

> Also: Is the 4mA ATA spec. a minimum ? The problem being that some el-cheapo IDE
> drive might play all sorts of fast and loose games with the ATA spec so at least
> a QuickSwitch type part might be a safety investment. I've always had a basic
> rule that no external connector is wired direct into an expensive and hard to
> replace FPGA ... had too many boards returned where someone thought a 9-pin
> D-Type was where the mains plugged in :-).

Which Quickswitches do you you for that ?

cheers

Article: 44471
From: Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 01:10:58 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Right, but that is not recommended for new designs at this point.

Subject: Re: hierarchy in Altera FPGAs
From: Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 01:20:35 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
The hierarchy introduced some significant delays which can be a problem
for data path designs.  There is still some hierarchy, but not like there
was.  I think it is a good thing.  Data path designs, which is what big
devices are probably going to used for, need a strong local interconnect
and not as much strength in the cross chip connect.  I like what I see in
the Stratix so far, although I have not yet had the opportunity to design
with it.

From: Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 01:24:54 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Normally you would not want to do that.  One port of the block RAM is similar to the old discrete
RAMs that had separated data (input separate from output pins).  The reason you have the
bidirectional busses on modern memory chips is to maximize the pin usage.  Inside the FPGA, you
should keep the read and write data paths separate, so in most cases you should NOT be using
tristates.

From: newman5382@aol.com (newman)
Date: 20 Jun 2002 18:56:40 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>