Subject: Re: DCM vs state machine
From: oen_br@yahoo.com.br (Luiz Carlos)
Date: 21 Aug 2003 10:21:29 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
David, asyncronous counters generate glitches, not syncronous ones.
Use a syncronous design.

You don't need to waste resources, use the output flip-flop of the
pin.

Luiz Carlos.

"David Lamb" <gretzteam_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<bi2m0c$ig1$1@home.itg.ti.com>...
> Ok sounds like I should use the flip flops. I don't care about the delay,
> since this clock is for other part of the circuit (outside the fpga) that
> are not synchronized with anything else. However, I have always been told to
> never use the output of a counter as a clock since it can glitch. This is
> almost what I'm about to do...
> Is there a way to avoid glitches?
> Thanks
> David

Article: 59551
Subject: Re: Xilinx XC3000 with Xilinx ISE student edition 4.2i
From: Mike Treseler <mike.treseler@flukenetworks.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:26:42 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Jonathan Bromley wrote:

> One solution, I humbly suggest, is for practitioners and educators
> to swap places on a regular basis.

Another might be to focus on simulation
for introductory courses.

Learning how to write and test code
for synthesis does not require a circuit board.