Subject: Whats the point?
From: sc@vcc.com (Steve Casselman)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 17:50:48 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
> I'm not sure, but it seems to me that there are two main advantages to
> using an fpga: 1) design is quicker because it may be programmed through
> software  2) production is quicker/cheaper because there is no "glue-logic"
> all over the place and you don't have to wait for in-factory designed ASICs.
>
> For reason 1, I see why reprogrammability is a good thing.
> For reason 2, why is reprogrammability important?
>
> If I'm missing something, please let me know.
>
> Garett

The idea behind this form is that fpgas can be used for
computing. To me this means being able to reprogram an
fpga over and over again. By taking a program and implementing
the compute intensive part of that program in hardware we
seek to accelerate an application. The buzz words we are tring
to push are 1) Transformable computers - Computer systems that use
the reconfigurable features of fpgas to implement an
algorithm. 2) Hardware object - That portion of an algorithm
that gets implemented in hardware. At Virtual Computer we
make what is possibly the simplest transformable computer
the Engineers' Virtual Computer (EVC). The EVC is a single
fpga (xc4010 or xc4013) based SBus card. We have interfaces
on the hardware and software side that makes it easy to implement
part of a algorithm in hardware and then talk to that hardware.
We currently support hardware programming interfaces with
Viewlogic schematic capture and verilog. So after you do a
design we convert the Xilinx raw-bits file into a static array
that can be downloaded into the xilinx at any time. The hardware
object is emmbeded right in the complied exacutable. We believe
that machines that allow the execution of a transfom in
reconfigurable hardware are a new style of computer architecture
which is why this form is comp.arch.fpga and not vlsi.fpga.
Transformable system are like a cross between data-flow/risc/vlwis
computers and present some of the most flexible and powerful computing
solution available today. Of course being so flexible these
computers are more difficult to program. The EVC is a step to
easy programming since all EDA vendors support programming
a single part. We need "C" compliers that understand (or can be
directed) how to identify what parts of the code can benefit from
hardware acceleration.

Anyway thats just the tip of the iceburg as they say!

Steve Casselman
Virtual Computer

Article: 351