Subject: Hardware sort?
From: Ray Andraka <randraka@ids.net>
Date: 17 Jul 1996 20:24:54 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I've got a customer who needs to sort a list of up to 100 80
bit words in hardware. The sort is on a 16 bit field within the 80
bit word.  An address counter provides a count from 0 to 64k.
Whenever an entry in the list has an address field that matches the
address count, the 64 bits associated with the address field need to
be output in parallel on the next 40M clock.  I'm wondering if anyone
has come up with a cute way of doing either a sort on the data going
in or an associative read to get the data out?

-Ray Andraka
Chairman, the Andraka Consulting Group
401/884-7930   FAX 401/884-7950
mailto:randraka@ids.net
http://www.ids.net/~randraka/

The Andraka Consulting Group is a digital hardware design firm
specializing in high performance FPGA designs.  Services include
complete design, development, simulation, and integration of these
devices and the surrounding circuits.  We also evaluate,troubleshoot,
and improve existing designs. Please call or write for a free
brochure or visit our homepage.

Article: 3701
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               request for inclusion

Please sign me on to your listing:

anne.greene@xilinx.com

Thanks, Anne

Article: 3702
>I've got a customer who needs to sort a list of up to 100 80
>bit words in hardware. The sort is on a 16 bit field within the 80
>bit word.  An address counter provides a count from 0 to 64k.
>Whenever an entry in the list has an address field that matches the
>address count, the 64 bits associated with the address field need to
>be output in parallel on the next 40M clock.  I'm wondering if anyone
>has come up with a cute way of doing either a sort on the data going
>in or an associative read to get the data out?

Are the sort keys guarantied to be unique?
If not, what are you supposed to do if 2 or more match?
Do you have to accept the data on consecutive 40M clocks?
How much time do you get between the acceptance of the data
and the output of the data?
Can you afford to use a 64K by 8 bit ram?

--
dennis@netcom.com (Dennis Yelle)
"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." -- Eleanor Roosevelt