Subject: Re: Xilinx Legal - topic beat to death
From: fpga_toys@yahoo.com
Date: 30 Jan 2006 19:26:40 -0800
> I see.  Seems we never even disclosed the basics of the XDL format. I
> had thought that we had disclosed its construction, and structure.

> Well then.  Looks like XDL is off limits, too.

> Now that we have that understood, perhaps we can retire this entire
> thread and move onto something else?

Sure ... I think we have more than hashed this to death :(

It's probably better at this point to lobby it as a business decision
with
sales/marketing and real customers.

Article: 96151
Subject: Re: power up reset question
From: "Peter Alfke" <alfke@sbcglobal.net>
Date: 30 Jan 2006 19:32:27 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
When Xilinx FPGAs power up, internal logic and clock routing is
gradually established as the configuration process proceeds. But all
flip-flops are being held in a fixed state. At the end of
configuration, this control signal ( often considered the "power-on
reset") is released. Unfortunately, that control signal releases
different parts of the chip at different times, since it has a total
propagation delay that often is longer than a user-clock period.
Different flip-flops or registers on the chip can thus become "alive"
at different times, and when this difference occurs inside one state
machine, an undesired sequence of operations might result.

It is wise to equip critical state machines with their own locally
synchronously delayed release of the "power-on reset" condition, or to
disable the Clock Enable input with a synchronous controller  that has
signal routing shorter than a clock period. Or you can suppress the
clock until after the "power-on-reset" signal has gone inactive.
Once you understand that the trailing edge of "power-on-reset" might
have a delay difference or skew that exceeds a whole clock period, the
solutions become obvious.
This subject has been covered many times in this newsgroup.