Subject: Re: XDL Tools wiki site
From: ptkwt@aracnet.com (Phil Tomson)
Date: 30 Jan 2006 05:04:57 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <bihpt1t46dm7afskbo72gqe1qb9fi5j3c2@4ax.com>,
Brian Drummond  <brian@shapes.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On 29 Jan 2006 03:37:49 GMT, ptkwt@aracnet.com (Phil Tomson) wrote:
>

>>I've set up a wiki space for discussion of ideas for an open source XDL tool
>>suite.  For those not familiar with wikis, they are collaborative web spaces
>>that can be edited by anyone (for now it is editable by anyone; if there are
>>problems we can restrict edit access to approved authors) or by a
>>select set of individuals.  They're used quite commonly for software projects
>>now as they are great for discussion of features, todo lists, idea boards, etc.
>>
>>If you had tools that could parse and programatically generate XDL how would
>>you use them?  Some suggestions have been made in other recent threads here on
>>comp.arch.fpga, now let's collect those ideas in the wikispace that I've setup
>>here:
>>http://thoughtfiz.stikipad.com/XDL_Tools/
>
>Thanks Phil...
>
>ummm...
>
>is there any way to access it?
>
>it keeps asking me to login (which I don't mind, except that I don't
>have an account, and there's no "register" button :-)

It appears to be a bug at stikipad (it's a fairly new service).  I keep tryinng
to edit the configuration so that the wiki is viewable by anyone, but it keeps
reverting back to 'viewable by authors only' mode.  I sent an email to support.
In the meantime, you could become an author by getting an account at stikipad:
http://stikipad.com
Then you'd be able to log in.  (BTW: it's a pretty cool service, if you sign up
you get one free wiki)

>>There is a Feature Request page you'll see on the home page.  You can go to
>>that page and edit it or you can add comments to any page by clicking on the
>>'Discuss' link at the right hand side of the page.
>
>well that's one "feature request" but you'll forgive me for not posting
>it in the right place :-)
>
>- Brian
>(who is almost sorry for "pushing" XDL having seen what the discussion
>degenerated into)

No problem.  Definitely looking forward to your input.

Phil

Article: 96076
>>>I've set up a wiki space for discussion of ideas for an open source XDL
>>>tool
>>>suite.  For those not familiar with wikis, they are collaborative web
>>>spaces
>>>that can be edited by anyone (for now it is editable by anyone; if there
>>>are
>>>problems we can restrict edit access to approved authors) or by a
>>>select set of individuals.  They're used quite commonly for software
>>>projects
>>>now as they are great for discussion of features, todo lists, idea boards,
>>>etc.
>>>
>>>If you had tools that could parse and programatically generate XDL how
>>>would
>>>you use them?  Some suggestions have been made in other recent threads
>>>here on
>>>comp.arch.fpga, now let's collect those ideas in the wikispace that I've
>>>setup
>>>here:
>>>http://thoughtfiz.stikipad.com/XDL_Tools/
>>
>> Thanks Phil...
>>
>> ummm...
>>
>> is there any way to access it?
>>
>> it keeps asking me to login (which I don't mind, except that I don't
>> have an account, and there's no "register" button :-)
>>
>>>There is a Feature Request page you'll see on the home page.  You can go
>>>that page and edit it or you can add comments to any page by clicking on
>>>the
>>>'Discuss' link at the right hand side of the page.
>>
>> well that's one "feature request" but you'll forgive me for not posting
>> it in the right place :-)
>>
>> - Brian
>> (who is almost sorry for "pushing" XDL having seen what the discussion
>> degenerated into)
>
>Hi Brian,
>
>agree 'degenerated' is a mild word for whats happened - XDL has been around
>for pretty long time and if those interested in the use of XDL have not done
>so far, well that is not the fault of Xilinx (and its license policy).
>
>hum, as of the Phil's setup thing, it looked weird that someone is password
>login authorization protecting websites about some Open-Source discussion.
>At first I did not want to register at all, then did come back determined to
>register, but failed to register completly as there seems to be no way to
>access the pages at all :(
>

>Antti Lukats
>http://help.xilant.com/XDL:Tools

Antti,

As I mentioned in the post in reply to Brian, the wiki is hosted by
http://stikipad.com - they let you host one wiki for free.  I think there is a
bug in their system that does not allow me to make the wiki viewable to
everyone.  If you go to http://stikipad.com you can sign up for an account and
then you can view the wiki.  Hopefully this problem will be addressed soon so
that you won't have to sign up.

Phil

Article: 96077
>>>I've set up a wiki space for discussion of ideas for an open source XDL
>>>tool
>>>suite.  For those not familiar with wikis, they are collaborative web
>>>spaces
>>>that can be edited by anyone (for now it is editable by anyone; if there
>>>are
>>>problems we can restrict edit access to approved authors) or by a
>>>select set of individuals.  They're used quite commonly for software
>>>projects
>>>now as they are great for discussion of features, todo lists, idea boards,
>>>etc.
>>>
>>>If you had tools that could parse and programatically generate XDL how
>>>would
>>>you use them?  Some suggestions have been made in other recent threads
>>>here on
>>>comp.arch.fpga, now let's collect those ideas in the wikispace that I've
>>>setup
>>>here:
>>>http://thoughtfiz.stikipad.com/XDL_Tools/
>>
>> Thanks Phil...
>>
>> ummm...
>>
>> is there any way to access it?
>>
>> it keeps asking me to login (which I don't mind, except that I don't
>> have an account, and there's no "register" button :-)
>>
>>>There is a Feature Request page you'll see on the home page.  You can go
>>>that page and edit it or you can add comments to any page by clicking on
>>>the
>>>'Discuss' link at the right hand side of the page.
>>
>> well that's one "feature request" but you'll forgive me for not posting
>> it in the right place :-)
>>
>> - Brian
>> (who is almost sorry for "pushing" XDL having seen what the discussion
>> degenerated into)
>
>Hi Brian,
>
>agree 'degenerated' is a mild word for whats happened - XDL has been around
>for pretty long time and if those interested in the use of XDL have not done
>so far, well that is not the fault of Xilinx (and its license policy).
>
>hum, as of the Phil's setup thing, it looked weird that someone is password
>login authorization protecting websites about some Open-Source discussion.
>At first I did not want to register at all, then did come back determined to
>register, but failed to register completly as there seems to be no way to
>access the pages at all :(
>

>Antti Lukats
>http://help.xilant.com/XDL:Tools
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Antti,
It seems you already have a wiki with an entry for XDL tools, can we use it if
we can't get the stikipad wiki to be publicly viewable?

Phil

Article: 96078

>>> Thanks Phil...
>>>
>>> ummm...
>>>
>>> is there any way to access it?
>>>
>>> it keeps asking me to login (which I don't mind, except that I don't
>>> have an account, and there's no "register" button :-)

>>> well that's one "feature request" but you'll forgive me for not posting
>>> it in the right place :-)
>>>
>>> - Brian
>>> (who is almost sorry for "pushing" XDL having seen what the discussion
>>> degenerated into)
>>
>>Hi Brian,
>>
>>agree 'degenerated' is a mild word for whats happened - XDL has been around
>>for pretty long time and if those interested in the use of XDL have not done
>>so far, well that is not the fault of Xilinx (and its license policy).
>>
>>hum, as of the Phil's setup thing, it looked weird that someone is password
>>login authorization protecting websites about some Open-Source discussion.
>>At first I did not want to register at all, then did come back determined to
>>register, but failed to register completly as there seems to be no way to
>>access the pages at all :(
>>

>>Antti Lukats
>>http://help.xilant.com/XDL:Tools
>>

>Antti,
>
>As I mentioned in the post in reply to Brian, the wiki is hosted by
>http://stikipad.com - they let you host one wiki for free.  I think there is a
>bug in their system that does not allow me to make the wiki viewable to
>everyone.  If you go to http://stikipad.com you can sign up for an account and
>then you can view the wiki.  Hopefully this problem will be addressed soon so
>that you won't have to sign up.

OK, I just got the word from stikipad: it turns out that they weren't very
clear in the setup that you can only have a publicly available wiki if you pay
$4.95/month.  Otherwise you can have other people sign up as authors at
stickipad.com.  So, now I'm not sure if the stikipad wiki is going to be all
that useful...  $4.95 isn't all that much, but I'd rather look into some
alternatives where I could host all my web projects (not just a wiki) for about
the same price.

Phil

Article: 96079