Subject: Virtex-II Pro family is a hands-down winner for DSP
From: Austin Lesea <Austin.Lesea@xilinx.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:49:18 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Michael,

No tricks.  V2 Pro parts are available NOW (for most devices and packages)
and they do have Xtreme DSP (tm) capabilites that are pretty awesome.

Your Xilinx FAE would be happy to provide you with a loaner demo board
that you could play with (or you could obtain one of your own through
distibution or order one on-line).

Depending on what you are doing, Virtex 2 Pro usually beats any other part
in terms of performance.  There are some DSP apps where Stratix is better,
but these are ones that can take advantage of the 9X9 multiplier mode.
There are some filter architectures that work better on STratix, than on
our parts, but in any digital filter, there is more than one possible
realization (IIR, FIR, folded, non-folded, etc.).  Our literature suggests
those architectures that are best fits for our parts, so apples to apples
comparison must be carefully done (do not use the wrong architecture with
the wrong part -- in either case, or else the comparison will be flawed).

The one issue (catch) that is raised is usually power:  all those
multipliers are not working for free.  But we use worst case patterns to
define our power estimate, as opposed to a typical pattern power estimate,
so again, Caveat Emptor (buyer beware), as the real power dissipation
between the two is actually almost identical (after all, similar 18X18
multipliers in the same technology draw the same power for the same speed
or performance).

Glad you have taken a serious look at our products,

Austin

Michael S wrote:

> I know that respective regulars of this newsgroup don't like to give
> decisive answers to A vs. X type of questions, but... This last visit
> of the Xilinx representative was a shocker !
>
> A bit of the background. We are as pure Altera shop as it goes. As
> such we don't follow Xilinx products very closely. When we
> occasionally did the check we typically found out that for our
> applications there are no big differences between offerings of Xilinx
> and Altera so there was no reason to step out of the comfort zone of
> established routine. We believed that this situation will last forever
> - it's what the competition is invented for, isn't it ?
>
> I have to mention that up until recently we never faced the project
> that was very multiplication-intensive on its FPGA side. The project
> we are  trying to achieve now is exactly like this- very multiply
> (MAC) intensive almost 100% FIR filtering. As usual, initially we
> figured out a possible Altera solution. It was a bit pricey and
> required two (or four smaller) chips but we thought that it is the
> state of the art and so be it. But here come a representatives from
> Xilinx and showed as their Virtex-II Pro parts... As I mentioned above
> it was a shock: about three time as many multipliers as in similar
> size/similar price Stratix chip. Two and a half times more multipliers
> than in significantly bigger Startix chip !
> XC2P30 - 136 18x18 Dedicated multipliers
> EP1S30 - 48  18x18 Embedded multipliers (the price of the parts is
> similar to XC2P30)
> EP1S40 - 56  18x18 Embedded multipliers
>
> I suppose that Startix parts are a bit faster, but it doesn't make a
> difference for our application. Doing the computational part of the
> design in the distinct (faster) clock domain doesn't make much sense
> when the main (data acquisition) clock already runs at 190MHz. And for
> 190MHz VirtexII-Pro is o.k. For us as far as Stratix unable to run
> calculation at 380MHz its speed advantage doesn't care.
>
> Since I have no experience with Xilinx in general and with Virtex-II
> Pro in particular I am afraid I missed something. It's almost too good
> to be true. IMHO if there is no catch (availability ?) here the XC2P
> parts draws Stratix into irrelevance for nearly all DSP-intensive
> applications.

Article: 58126