Subject: open source fpga programmer programs
From: dfeustel@mindspring.com (Dave Feustel)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:24:14 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I am no longer running Windows. Are there any open source programs
for programming fpgas? I know about Icarus, but I don't think that
program actually programs chips.

Thanks,
Dave Feustel

Article: 95676
Subject: Re: encryption
From: "Symon" <symon_brewer@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:24:50 -0000
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"Antti Lukats" <antti@openchip.org> wrote in message

> Transmitting encrypted voice over band-limited analog link is VERY VERY
> complicated task. If you want secure and reliable connection over analog
> link that does not reduce the quality (eg provides almost the same
> bandwidth as clear channel) then calculate at least one man-year
> development time. Probably more.
>
> I have hacked an secured digital sound transmittion standard once a long
> time ago. It is amazing what has to be done to digitized voice in order to
> hide its nature of being voice data. Anything that is from our world eg
> sound, voice, captured image keeps its characteristics after large amount
> of distortion applied, things like bit swapping/interleaving, xor patterns
> do not change almost anything - methods exist to recover the original.

Although, I think I could get a Linux box with a sound card and a modem to
send an encrypted MP3 compressed stream over POTS in a lot less than a year.
Cheap too! You could use ssh and send it over the internet. Perhaps you
could run Linux on the FPGA's PowerPC?
Cheers, Syms.

Article: 95677
Subject: Re: dma on fpga pci card
From: "Anonymous" <someone@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:27:23 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Try a google search on scatter gather dma.

I don't know the details but I know you have to allocate blocks of memory in
the pc space, program their locations and sizes to the pci, and then monitor
the transfers and swap out buffers to disk before their overwritten.

"Nitesh" <nitesh.guinde@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I changed the front end core  given by amirix for dma functionality.
> For a dma transfer what is the destination address that I should
> specify? How can I get this address.
> I am sending data from the card to the host memory.
> Nitesh

Article: 95678
From: allanherriman@hotmail.com
Date: 25 Jan 2006 05:28:15 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
And the low noise preamp, and the low pass filter and power amp for the
speaker, and the DSP-based acoustic echo cancellation, and the analog
noise generator (for the keys) and the controlling microprocessor (if
not using the DSP chip for this) and the power supply components, and
... and ... and.

Naturally, one leaves out some irrelevant details.

Regards,
Allan
P.S. how did you know it was a sunny day here?

Article: 95679
From: allanherriman@hotmail.com
Date: 25 Jan 2006 05:37:00 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Antti Lukats wrote:
> >Marc Randolph" <mrand@my-deja.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > yusufilker@gmail.com wrote:
> >> hi,
> >
> > Howdy yusuf,  see below...
> >
> >> I would like to implement a secure channel over an unsecure medium.
> >>
> >> mic(voice) => A/D conv =>digital, unsecure, unknown comm link => D/A
>
> Transmitting encrypted voice over band-limited analog link is VERY VERY
> complicated task. If you want secure and reliable connection over analog
> link that does not reduce the quality (eg provides almost the same bandwidth
> as clear channel) then calculate at least one man-year development time.
> Probably more.
>
> I have hacked an secured digital sound transmittion standard once a long
> time ago. It is amazing what has to be done to digitized voice in order to
> hide its nature of being voice data. Anything that is from our world eg
> sound, voice, captured image keeps its characteristics after large amount of
> distortion applied, things like bit swapping/interleaving, xor patterns do
> not change almost anything - methods exist to recover the original.

Obviously, if a design uses poor crypto, then it can be cracked without
too much diffculty.
Even "good" crypto (e.g. AES) can be misused.  It's quite hard to get
right in practice.

I rather like the wikipedia entry on Block Cypher modes of operation
that shows a striking flaw in ECB.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_cipher_modes_of_operation

I'm guessing that CTR mode would suit the OP's application.

Regards,
Allan

Article: 95680
Subject: [OT]Re: encryption
From: "Symon" <symon_brewer@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:41:04 -0000
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
<allanherriman@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> P.S. how did you know it was a sunny day here?

He's obviously been following the cricket now that Holland have qualified
for the world cup. It looks sunny at the SCG in the picture of Jayasuriya
after he hit a century!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4634280.stm
Cheers, Syms.

Article: 95681
Subject: Re: open source fpga programmer programs
From: allanherriman@hotmail.com
Date: 25 Jan 2006 05:43:11 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Dave Feustel wrote:
> I am no longer running Windows. Are there any open source programs
> for programming fpgas? I know about Icarus, but I don't think that
> program actually programs chips.

I know of no good (*) open source simulators or synthesis tools.
You can forget about the back end tools - there are compelling reasons
for these to be completely closed.

I suggest you drop your dogma, and use some of the many low cost or
free (beer) tools, or learn about Wine (assuming you have an x86
machine).

(*) other people may regard certain offerings (e.g. Icarus) as good.
YMMV.

Regards,
Allan

Article: 95682
Subject: Re: help:dual-edge flip-flop possible using Verilog?
From: Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:46:25 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Jim Granville wrote:
> Peter Alfke wrote:
>
>> The circuit is reliable, although the generated pulse width is
>> determined by gate delays. But it is self-compensating, since the clock
>> pulse will not end until the flip-flop has toggled.

This circuit really shouldn't be advocated for FPGA use.  It is an
asynchronous hack.  It would not get through a serious design review
except in extenuating circumstances.  Generally speaking, depending on
gate delays for circuit operation is bad practice.  This particular
circuit has potential problems with pulse width and is dependent on the
clock duty cycle for proper operation.  (Yes, I can remember using it a
long long time ago with some TTL designs, but then those designs also
had one-shots in them).  Another problem with it, is the static timing
analyzer and timing driven place and route do not consider the
asynchronous behavior of this circuit.

Article: 95683
Subject: Re: problem to synthetize with ISE
From: "Gabor" <gabor@alacron.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2006 05:50:25 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

kcl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I get trouble to run a project(synthetize and p&r)  It complete sucessfully
> all the steps but it doesn't validate it so when I try to remake just one
> step like the P&R it restarts also the synthetize as it has never been
> done. Also when I made a step instead of putting a green mark on this step
> when it have been done , it puts a a point of interrogation ( and not a red
> cross)
>
> for example :
> I make my project and synthetize it . ISE says me that it have been
> completed but it keeps the point of interrogation. Then I run the Implement
> Step and it restarts the synthetize first. As if I have done a a rerun
> command.
>
> If I make a full run (synthetize+translate+map+P&R) It validates all steps
> when they are finish (but still running the next step) with the green mark
> but when it finish the run all the step are unvalidate ( by a ? sign)
>
> does anyone have already meet these problem?
>
> I have already try to reinstall ISE (6.3 sp3) and remake all the project
> (just keeping the vhd)
>
> Thanks you for your answer.
>
> alex

I've found that this is often a system problem.  ISE keeps track of
source
module modification times and generated file creation times.  If some
of the files are located on another computer these times may not be
directly comparable.  This happens if the systems are not set to the
same time zone for instance, or sometimes if they don't use the same
operating system.  It can also happen if the computers' clocks are not
set correctly.

Article: 95684
From: yusufilker@gmail.com
Date: 25 Jan 2006 05:53:37 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
thanks for your replies, I have to give more details

It is not analog channel . It is digital and it is not easy to access
to software/hardware , may be only to hardware that  mic-A/D conv
part.)
The device encrypts data BUT i do not trust encrypted data. becouse it
is already listened (like internet = do you trust in your IE :)
If I encrypt data in the device's microprocessor it can be recognized
or at least overwritten by an software upgrade remotely etc...

So I will add external circuit if i can.those A/D and D/A s required
for this.

Crosstalk can be a problem but how much i can not guess. i will insert
a small circuit  between mic and host A/D conv.
I am aware multiple A/Ds will generate too much noise but it is
acceptable.

voice like signal = same freq with original voice, same data dept, but
just scrambled / I will feed encrypted voice like signal into device's
A/D. I will remove the original mic/ sorry for bad english.

no need for compression,  bandwidth is ok.  voice is  8kbps\ scrambled
voice is also 8kbps \ device can send both of them without caring.

Article: 95685
From: "Antti Lukats" <antti@openchip.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:57:53 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
<yusufilker@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> thanks for your replies, I have to give more details
>
> It is not analog channel . It is digital and it is not easy to access
> to software/hardware , may be only to hardware that  mic-A/D conv
> part.)
> The device encrypts data BUT i do not trust encrypted data. becouse it
> is already listened (like internet = do you trust in your IE :)
> If I encrypt data in the device's microprocessor it can be recognized
> or at least overwritten by an software upgrade remotely etc...
>
> So I will add external circuit if i can.those A/D and D/A s required
> for this.
>
> Crosstalk can be a problem but how much i can not guess. i will insert
> a small circuit  between mic and host A/D conv.
> I am aware multiple A/Ds will generate too much noise but it is
> acceptable.
>

> voice like signal = same freq with original voice, same data dept, but
> just scrambled / I will feed encrypted voice like signal into device's
> A/D. I will remove the original mic/ sorry for bad english.
>

> no need for compression,  bandwidth is ok.  voice is  8kbps\ scrambled
> voice is also 8kbps \ device can send both of them without caring.

this is exactly the most complicated case. if you want the encrypted voice
to be transmitted over the same analog channel, (eg feed it into AD) then
it is VERY VERY complicated to get it done right.

in other words you can forget doing it.

--
Antti Lukats
http://www.xilant.com

Article: 95686
From: allanherriman@hotmail.com
Date: 25 Jan 2006 06:01:54 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
yusufilker@gmail.com wrote:
> thanks for your replies, I have to give more details
>
> It is not analog channel . It is digital and it is not easy to access
> to software/hardware , may be only to hardware that  mic-A/D conv
> part.)
> The device encrypts data BUT i do not trust encrypted data. becouse it
> is already listened (like internet = do you trust in your IE :)
> If I encrypt data in the device's microprocessor it can be recognized
> or at least overwritten by an software upgrade remotely etc...
>
> So I will add external circuit if i can.those A/D and D/A s required
> for this.
>
> Crosstalk can be a problem but how much i can not guess. i will insert
> a small circuit  between mic and host A/D conv.
> I am aware multiple A/Ds will generate too much noise but it is
> acceptable.
>

> voice like signal = same freq with original voice, same data dept, but
> just scrambled / I will feed encrypted voice like signal into device's
> A/D. I will remove the original mic/ sorry for bad english.
>

> no need for compression,  bandwidth is ok.  voice is  8kbps\ scrambled
> voice is also 8kbps \ device can send both of them without caring.

Don't confuse 8kHz sampling rate with 8kb/s data rate.  They are very
different concepts!

Allan

Article: 95687
From: Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:02:21 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
On a sunny day (25 Jan 2006 05:28:15 -0800) it happened
allanherriman@hotmail.com wrote in
<1138195695.581945.80890@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:

>And the low noise preamp, and the low pass filter and power amp for the
>speaker, and the DSP-based acoustic echo cancellation, and the analog
>noise generator (for the keys) and the controlling microprocessor (if
>not using the DSP chip for this) and the power supply components, and
>... and ... and.
>
>Naturally, one leaves out some irrelevant details.

You wrote:
<quote>
 This would be the minimum required to make a "professional-grade" voice
 encryptor:
<quoted>
So tha twas not very professional, as i tshows no knowledge of signal processing.

>Regards,
>Allan
>P.S. how did you know it was a sunny day here?
I only know you reply to me because of the headers, you forgot to qute
what and who you are replying to.
Not very professional either.

As for the sunny day, try a suitable reference frame.

Article: 95688
Subject: Re: Remapping from Virtex-II to Virtex-4
From: "jerzy.gbur@gmail.com" <jerzy.gbur@gmail.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2006 06:07:13 -0800

One thing more.
As I saw moment before,
DCM
- you can't use/set CLK_FEEDBACK="2X"
- only "1X" or "NONE"

regards

Jerzy Gbur

Article: 95689
Subject: Re: Xilinx padding LC numbers, how do you really feel about it?
From: Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:20:01 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
fpga_toys@yahoo.com wrote:

> [...]
>>>right thru the power the device can handle. Disagree?
>

>>You won't get the density and performance without handcrafting to meet
>>both the density and performance limits.  The typical user is going to
>>run into place and route issues before he even gets close to the high
>>density, high clock rate corner.  I don't care if it is an RC
>>application or not, you just don't get into that corner unless you do a
>>considerable amount of handcrafting on the design.
>

> Thanks for making my point. The Xilinx product chips + ISE is unable to
> route
> designs which have a high usage level, which is believe is because it
> both
> lacks routing resources and P&R needs improvement. You are probably one
> of better 1/4 of percent of engineers that might have the experience to
> beat
> P&R regularly ... but for the rest of us mortals the product isn't
> usabel as
> you get close to 100% packing.
>
> For RC uses I have a laundry list of things that are wrong with P&R,
> some of
> which are WHY you can not get high density designs routed with ISE. P&R
> fails to pack FF's with the LUT that has it's input term ... choosing
> instead to
> use another LUT as a pass thru that is several CLB's away. Given a
> netlist
> that is obviously a 6x15 mesh from the routing, it tends to place the
> parts in
> an arc around the center of the chip instead. ... and a number of other
> observations
> that says it's costing algorithms have a very different goal, and fail
> because of
> it for some designs.
>
> The problem is that P&R is not optional, they will not release the doc
> for an
> open source implementation which is turned to other applications, like
> RC.
> So until P&R can automatically route the same dense designs you pull
> off,
> I say the product chips+ISE isn't usable for dense designs.
>
> The reason they get away with it today is that for hardware design
> there is
> a VERY strong incentive to buy up ... purchase a larger device, just to
> make
> sure that in the future changes will fit. So many designs will always
> have the
> headroom, and presure on Xilinx to improve P&R for high density routing
> is
> relatively low, as few designs will cross above 95% use.
>
> With RC there is a completely different goal, and that is to use the
> entire chip,
> in fact, all of every chip in an FPGA processor array. High density
> designs are
> the norm with RC, and half device designs will be relatively rare.

The issue is not the devices; the current devices are actually
over-routed.  That is, there is more than enough routing in them. You
can prove this to some degree by setting your timing constraints low.
If you can accept poor timing, it is difficult to make an unroutable
design.  The router does have issues that have to do with trading
quality of results for faster time to completion.  You can still get a
lot of mileage out of doing a bit of floorplanning.  The problem is that
in its haste, the router puts down routes working to connect everything
up, and then works to shorten any routes that don't meet timing.
Unfortunately, that ends up in a lot of circuitous routes that in turn
congest the routing resources to the point where the router is tripping
over itself.  There used to be a delay based clean-up that ripped up and
re-routed to minimize propagation delays rather than just reduce them to
meet timing.  That was removed in an effort to reduce overall compile time.

I do not do hand-routing.  I avoid it like the plague because it is
outisde of the normal tool flow, is difficult to embed in the design, is
  extremely time consuming, and is perishable meaning that if you have
to run PAR again, your hand placement also has to be redone.  I do use
floorplanning extensively, both embedded in the code for frequently used
components, and in the UCF for less used and placement of upper levels
in the hierarchy.  The point is, the tools will route a high density
design just fine.  They often need a helping hand to get a decent
placement (although they will generally work for placement too if timing
isn't critical).

As far as placing LUTs away from the flip-flops, that occurs in jsut a
few specific cases: 1) you have more than one level of LUT between
flip-flops.  The first level LUT connected to the flip-flop D input will
get put with the flip-flop.  The second level obviously cannot go into
the LUT occupied by the first.  The placer doesn't do a very good job
with second level LUTs, so they tend to be placed too far away.  The
easiest way to work around this is with deeper pipelining to ensure you
have only 4 input logic functions between flip-flops. You can also put
placement constraints on both LUTs to force placement in adjacent slices
(the placer will generally not put them next to each other otherwise)
2) your combinatorial logic drives more than one flip-flop.
3) the LUT is driving the reset input to the flip-flop.  The reset input
is not directly connected to the LUT in the same slice, so the placer
generally doesn't put it there.  Resets sourced from combinatorial terms
are also generally feeding more than one flip-flop, so you also run into
the issue with the logic driving more than one flip-flop
4) The LUt is driving a clock enable input to the flip-flop.  Same deal
as the reset.
5) you have logic between the carry chain and the flip-flop that does
not map into the XORCY.  This is usually a mux or gating function.
Off hand, I can't think of any other scenarios that cause the LUT to be
physically separated from the flip-flop.

RC is going to give you dissappointing results if you insist on defining
the designs with an RTL description.  Synthesis and PAR without physical
constraints is too slow, and the results are not generally going to get
you into the high density-high performance corner.  RC has a much better
shot of working if it uses a library of hand crafted components that it
simply stitches together.  Those components will need to be designed by
someone far more familiar with the FPGA architecture and high
performance/density design for FPGAs than the typical user you described.

My point is, it isn't so much the tools, nor the devices that prevent a
high density high performance design.  It is the lack of expertise of
the user.  FPGAs are certainly not unique in this regard.  Opening up
the bitstream is not going to change this one iota.

Aiming for 100% device use is also a faulty goal.  Quite the contrary,
RC should be targetting less than 50% utilization for any one overlay so
that it can hit a reasonable performance target with a minimum of
effort.  What is the point of performing an operation 2x as fast (100%
utilization vs 50%) if it takes 10x the time to prepare to do it,
especially when the time to prepare is already orders of magnitude
longer than the execution time?  As long as 50% utilization provides a
good performance advantage over not using RC, it is still a large win.

Article: 95690
Subject: Spartan-3 Starter Board
From: Chris.Gammell@gmail.com
Date: 25 Jan 2006 06:25:30 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone has tried out the Spartan-3 starter board
offered on Xilinx's website (the 99 dollar one). I am a student
developing a project on an FPGA and that seemed like the most cost
effective option for me. Has anyone tried it? If so, how is the
speed/capacity for your needs? How about the simplified JTAG interface,
does that perform OK? Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing
from you.

Chris

Article: 95691
Subject: Re: Spartan-3 Starter Board
From: "Antti Lukats" <antti@openchip.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:29:37 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
<Chris.Gammell@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hey All,
>
> Just wondering if anyone has tried out the Spartan-3 starter board
> offered on Xilinx's website (the 99 dollar one). I am a student
> developing a project on an FPGA and that seemed like the most cost
> effective option for me. Has anyone tried it? If so, how is the
> speed/capacity for your needs? How about the simplified JTAG interface,
> does that perform OK? Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing
> from you.
>
> Chris

its ok,
but if you can wait then the Spartan3e kit $149 USD includes also on board
Platform USB Cable (sold standalone for $149!) as free bonus :)

--
Antti Lukats
http://www.xilant.com

Article: 95692
Subject: Spartan3 DC datasheet
From: "Marco" <marco@marylon.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2006 07:00:26 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Hi, on page 25 of DS099-3 Spartan3 DC and Switching Characteristics,
there's a a formula for the maximum number of SSOs allowed within an
I/O bank. I have a XC3S200FT256 working in LVCMOS33 standard (fast,
2mA), its table 22 value is 3, while its table 23 value is 44. Do I
really have a limit of 3x44=132 SSOs for each bank? This value excedes
by far the number of pin per bank in this package... It is "reasonable"
for output currents of 24mA or 16mA, where it limits the SSOs to 9 and
21 respectively.
This post is only to check if what I found is correct or if I'm wrong.
Thanks, Marco

Article: 95693
From: fpga_toys@yahoo.com
Date: 25 Jan 2006 07:01:08 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Dave Feustel wrote:
> I am no longer running Windows. Are there any open source programs
> for programming fpgas? I know about Icarus, but I don't think that
> program actually programs chips.

Depends on your fpga's. For Xilinx there is no alternative since the
P&R
and bitstream generation tools are vendor proprietary.  For Altera
parts
it's unclear at this point, at least one source believes they might
open
up shortly.  Atmel isn't fighting open source at this point, and is
actually
relatively open about bitstream formats and architecture for
AT40K/AT94K
products to the point that we will be actively supporting those
products in
ways with FpgaC that simply are not possible on Xilinx. I suspect that
will bring Altera out as well, since the breadth of the FpgaC project
is
pretty exciting for Reconfigurable Computing (RC).

The core patents for Fpga's will be expiring this decade, and if the
open
source RC movement is careful to establish prior art and register core
technology patents, it should be possible to safely create an open
source
basis for RC similar to what gcc, gnu, FreeBsd, and Linux did for the
mainstream software world.

Xilinx may try to control the market as AT&T/USL/Novel/SCO did, but
in the end vendor neutral open source projects have a strong chance
of being mainstream in the FPGA RC community inside a few years.
I suspect that Altera, Amtel, Intel, and a few others will sieze the
SoC
market to take RC mainstream from the ground up. In that market
Altera with the Arm core has a clear market edge as most embedded
folks are already Arm experienced, where PPC is still a minority
player in the global embedded market. The Altera Excalibur devices
have been a very interesting pairing in that respect ARM + 20KE fpga
and that product family is certainly going to grow, especially if an
open source partnership develops for it.

With core patents expiring this decade, and early in the next, I would
not be suprised if Intel, AMD, Actel, ASCII(One Chip MSX), and a few
others are all capable of making the current FPGA leaders marketshare
insignificant in a few years as embedded RC goes mainstream.

FpgaC is just getting off the ground, but with a strong vision toward
realizing the 10 year old dream of mainstream RC.

Article: 95694
From: fpga_toys@yahoo.com
Date: 25 Jan 2006 07:12:18 -0800

> Aiming for 100% device use is also a faulty goal.  Quite the contrary,
> RC should be targetting less than 50% utilization for any one overlay so
> that it can hit a reasonable performance target with a minimum of
> effort.  What is the point of performing an operation 2x as fast (100%
> utilization vs 50%) if it takes 10x the time to prepare to do it,
> especially when the time to prepare is already orders of magnitude
> longer than the execution time?  As long as 50% utilization provides a
> good performance advantage over not using RC, it is still a large win.

you are not the only one that is suggesting that derating Xilinx parts
50% is the minimum rational target for an RTL based RC system on
those platforms. I don't think this is acceptable long term, and very
hard to justify. That Xilinx actively prevents alternative P&R and bit
stream tools to improve an this, simply means they are not interested
in better fit for their product line ... IE go away, we don't care
about
that market.

Thanks for clearly expressing this.

Article: 95695
From: "yyqonline" <yyqonline@gmail.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2006 07:26:51 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
\quote
Ray Andraka wrote
This circuit really shouldn't be advocated for FPGA use.
\quote
Thanks for help.
I am not sure how to realize the same function (double the frequence of
the clk)?
Maybe some of the FPGA's architecture support this.
Then I would like to know how this circuit perform as far as asic is
concerned?

Article: 95696
From: Eli Hughes <emh203@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:57:49 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Antti Lukats wrote:
> <Chris.Gammell@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>Hey All,
>>
>>Just wondering if anyone has tried out the Spartan-3 starter board
>>offered on Xilinx's website (the 99 dollar one). I am a student
>>developing a project on an FPGA and that seemed like the most cost
>>effective option for me. Has anyone tried it? If so, how is the
>>speed/capacity for your needs? How about the simplified JTAG interface,
>>does that perform OK? Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing
>>from you.
>>
>>Chris
>>

> its ok,
> but if you can wait then the Spartan3e kit $149 USD includes also on board
> Platform USB Cable (sold standalone for $149!) as free bonus :)

If you are a student you may be able to get Xilinx to donate a couple to
your Lab at School!

-Eli

Article: 95697
Subject: Re: Newbie: xilinx vs arm
From: fpga_toys@yahoo.com
Date: 25 Jan 2006 07:59:03 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

unlogic@o2.pl wrote:
> Ive would like to start feel whats going on fpga field .. soo if anyone
> would point me in some directions would be great.

Do both. Look at Altera parts which have both ARM processors and
and FPGA on the same chip ;)

Article: 95698
From: Eli Hughes <emh203@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:02:20 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Dave Feustel wrote:
> I am no longer running Windows. Are there any open source programs
> for programming fpgas? I know about Icarus, but I don't think that
> program actually programs chips.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave Feustel

Don't waste your time.  Vendor's spend a *VERY* long time working out
bugs in their software.  With the level of complexity of an FPGA, you
don't want to waste time with buggy software that is developed in
someone else's spare time.  All of the actually chip programming,
routing stuff is vendor locked(for good reason), so your out of luck on
that.

That being said, Xilinx does offer their software for Linux. It is not
opensource but it does give you a non-windows alternative.

-Eli

Article: 95699
From: yusufilker@gmail.com
Date: 25 Jan 2006 08:13:01 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Antti Lukats yazdi:
> <yusufilker@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > thanks for your replies, I have to give more details
> >
> > It is not analog channel . It is digital and it is not easy to access
> > to software/hardware , may be only to hardware that  mic-A/D conv
> > part.)
> > The device encrypts data BUT i do not trust encrypted data. becouse it
> > is already listened (like internet = do you trust in your IE :)
> > If I encrypt data in the device's microprocessor it can be recognized
> > or at least overwritten by an software upgrade remotely etc...
> >
> > So I will add external circuit if i can.those A/D and D/A s required
> > for this.
> >
> > Crosstalk can be a problem but how much i can not guess. i will insert
> > a small circuit  between mic and host A/D conv.
> > I am aware multiple A/Ds will generate too much noise but it is
> > acceptable.
> >

> > voice like signal = same freq with original voice, same data dept, but
> > just scrambled / I will feed encrypted voice like signal into device's
> > A/D. I will remove the original mic/ sorry for bad english.
> >

> > no need for compression,  bandwidth is ok.  voice is  8kbps\ scrambled
> > voice is also 8kbps \ device can send both of them without caring.
> >

> this is exactly the most complicated case. if you want the encrypted voice
> to be transmitted over the same analog channel, (eg feed it into AD) then
> it is VERY VERY complicated to get it done right.
>
> in other words you can forget doing it.
>
> --
> Antti Lukats
> http://www.xilant.com

Hi Antti,

everything is naturally analog.

But I did not say the channel is analog. It is digital channel.

I use very small part of the device = just want to insert my circuit
between microphone and A/D conv.

my circuit = A/D+fpga+D/A    it seems very simple to me.

(ok I pass LNA, LPF, etc but still simple)

transmitting and receiving done by the device. every kind of noise
reduction, crosstalk issues already handled by the device.
OR do not I understand what you mean?