Subject: Re: How about Lattice ispLSI?
From: r.kellenbach@NO_SPAM_multiweb.nl (Rene Kellenbach)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:31:54 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
nick toop <nick@cortexco.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I have used Lattice parts for years.  Originally I used their PDS
>system and thought I was was really good at getting high utilisation.
>However, I have been using Lattice-Synario for some time now and still
>get very good utilisation.  The free starter kit is fine but is limited
>to the smaller devices.  At present I use Synario 5.0 which handles the
>("8000 PLD gate") isp1048 sized parts and I am happy with it.

I have tried the Lattice/Synario starter kit - seems pretty easy to
use. The full version isn't very expensive, and I am tempted to buy
one. However, Viewlogic/VHDL seems a more generally accepted standard,
and I think learning VHDL is not a bad thing.

>I like the ability to mix algebra, truth tables, and schematics and also
>the hierarchical schematics.  I like to see the whole of a design spread
>out in 2D with algebraically defined logic sections displayed as block
>symbols. I like the way you can lock pins and set their characteristics.
>I only use the simulator to check logic function but find it very useful
>for this.

Don't know if Viewlogic/VHDL has these abilities. A local Lattice
representative will visit me tomorrow to demonstrate the Viewlogic
design flow, using the Lattice fitter.

>I am uneasy that using VHDL would lead to large, "slap it together",
>improperly understood, and unnecessarily large designs (like C++ dare I
>say?) . However, I grant the necessity of VHDL (and C++) for larger
>designs and will certainly use it when I have to design more complex
>processing elements.

Me too - I'd like to have the ability to squeeze most out of a chip.
Maybe VHDL is too far away from bare metal.

>Is there anyone reading this who has made the transition from Synario to
>Viewlogic that still looks back fondly at Synario?  Any other comments?

I hope I can comment on this in a few days.

>Finally, the Synario system has some quirks. The schematic entry tool
>"keeps trying to do the last thing you specified" which is logical
>enough but sometimes seems a bit weird.

I guess this is just something you have to get used to.

>NB: Vantis (AMD) are offering a very low cost Synario based starter kit
>which seems equivalent to the Lattice starter.

Does AMD offer ISP devices, too?

>I have used Lattice parts for years.  Originally I used their PDS
>system and thought I was was really good at getting high utilisation.
>However, I have been using Lattice-Synario for some time now and still
>get very good utilisation.  The free starter kit is fine but is limited
>to the smaller devices.  At present I use Synario 5.0 which handles the
>("8000 PLD gate") isp1048 sized parts and I am happy with it.

I have tried the Lattice/Synario starter kit - seems pretty easy to
use. The full version isn't very expensive, and I am tempted to buy
one. However, Viewlogic/VHDL seems a more generally accepted standard,
and I think learning VHDL is not a bad thing.

>I like the ability to mix algebra, truth tables, and schematics and also
>the hierarchical schematics.  I like to see the whole of a design spread
>out in 2D with algebraically defined logic sections displayed as block
>symbols. I like the way you can lock pins and set their characteristics.
>I only use the simulator to check logic function but find it very useful
>for this.

Don't know if Viewlogic/VHDL has these abilities. A local Lattice
representative will visit me tomorrow to demonstrate the Viewlogic
design flow, using the Lattice fitter.

>I am uneasy that using VHDL would lead to large, "slap it together",
>improperly understood, and unnecessarily large designs (like C++ dare I
>say?) . However, I grant the necessity of VHDL (and C++) for larger
>designs and will certainly use it when I have to design more complex
>processing elements.

Me too - I'd like to have the ability to squeeze most out of a chip.
Maybe VHDL is too far away from bare metal.

>Is there anyone reading this who has made the transition from Synario to
>Viewlogic that still looks back fondly at Synario?  Any other comments?

I hope I can comment on this in a few days.

>Finally, the Synario system has some quirks. The schematic entry tool
>"keeps trying to do the last thing you specified" which is logical
>enough but sometimes seems a bit weird.

I guess this is just something you have to get used to.

>NB: Vantis (AMD) are offering a very low cost Synario based starter kit
>which seems equivalent to the Lattice starter.

Does AMD offer ISP devices, too?

Thanks, Nick.

Rene Kellenbach,
The Netherlands.