Subject: Re: UCF Question
From: Magnus Homann <d0asta@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>
Date: 23 Oct 2000 09:42:42 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> writes:

> Magnus Homann wrote:
> > I have to admit that it might not be very common to do this kind of
> > design. Unless you are into gigabit ethernet! Transmit path, on the
> > most common devices, is 10 bit @ 125MHz, and receive path is 10 bit
> > clocked with two 62.5 MHz clocks at 180 degrees (positive edge). So
> > you have one transmit and two receive clocks. The delay between
> > positive edges of the different receive clocks is 7.5 to 8.5 ns. Data
> > valid (on receive) is 3 ns before and 2 ns after [1], and in an
> > FPGA you'd preferrably take the PAD to two different FFs, perhaps one in
> > the IOB.
>
> To make sure I understand what you are saying, there are four data
> inputs with dual clocks of opposite phases. So you have four clocks at a
> similar phase

Nah, not really, they are totally unrelated. Doesn't matter for your later suggestion, though.

> and there are four clocks that are 180 degrees out,
> essentially inverted. You are saying that the clocks vary from 7.5 to
> 8.5 nS from pos edge of "non-inverted" clock to pos edge of "inverted"
> clock.

> If the skew is only 1 nS total (+- 0.5 nS) and you have 2 nS hold time,
> why can't you use one clock for both data phases of a given input? This
> would reduce your setup and hold to 2.5 nS and 1.5 nS, respectively. I
> believe this will work in a fast FPGA.

I could have done that, as you said. I thought about it and chose not
to, I can't remember why. Perhaps the numbers were a bit more
"negative". Anyway, you'd still have two FFs for each PAD, and that
might have been the problem.

> > Now, I had to [2] fit four(4) of those interfaces in one FPGA, so it
> > makes 2*4 =8 receive clocks, but I used the same transmit clock, so
> > "only" 9 pretty fast clocks were needed. The FPGA I used had four
> > global clocks, and four "fast" inputs, ergo I had to use one
> > non-decicated input.
> ...snip...
> > Thanks you for listening to my rant!
> >
> > [1] AMCC S2060
> > [2] Nobody forced me, but it was an interesting challenge.
> > [3] Consider where you have 8 bits and a clock going out of your
> >     FPGA and 1 meter across the backplane. The signals are all of the same
> >     length, and you run say 200 Mbaud. Skew at ouput is important, but
> >     actual delay is not.
>
> I agree that this will become more common, but that does not solve the
> problems of building a chip to meet the spec.
> In these chips, the skew
> is an undocumented parameter as it depends greatly on the routing as
> well as the chip fabrication. It might be something that Xilinx will
> consider documenting in the future for global clocks and IOBs.

The problems of building the chipp is up to the manufacturer. I
believe that it is not that complicated to take these things into
account. For minimum delay, a very "safe" estimate would get you quite
far. For max delay every ps counts, as that's what marketing
demands. Not so on min delay. For instance, your "25% of max" would be
a very good number to guarantee, but even _to be able to constrain_ would be a step forward.

It's not a technical problem, is a lack of understanding of the need, IMHO.

Homann
--
Magnus Homann, M.Sc. CS & E
d0asta@dtek.chalmers.se